Demanding proof of exiting Turkish waters

Squeaky

Visit site
Good morning:

Lately I have heard several claims that the authorities in Marmaris are demanding proof that a yacht has actually left Turkish waters after clearing out and returning at a later date. It seems that this proof can consist of anything from a marina/harbour receipt to a receipt from a taverna for a meal.

I was always under the impression that clearing Turkish waters (i.e. 12 nautical miles) was required so suppose that if the above is correct that it originates with some "jobsworth" in the local customs office.

Would like to know if any other members have had this experience in Marmaris or elsewhere in Turkey.

Cheers

Squeaky

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Good morning:

Lately I have heard several claims that the authorities in Marmaris are demanding proof that a yacht has actually left Turkish waters after clearing out and returning at a later date. It seems that this proof can consist of anything from a marina/harbour receipt to a receipt from a taverna for a meal.

I was always under the impression that clearing Turkish waters (i.e. 12 nautical miles) was required so suppose that if the above is correct that it originates with some "jobsworth" in the local customs office.

Would like to know if any other members have had this experience in Marmaris or elsewhere in Turkey.

Cheers

Squeaky

How about a simple photo / screengrab from the chartplotter?

Richard

rogerthebodger

Visit site
It does not surprise me as most customs have a limit on the amount of time that any temporary import can stay in a country. To reset the clock the the item (boat) must leave the country and some times must be out of the country for a minimum time to reset the clock.

It looks like some people have been clearing out to reset the clock but not actually leaving, so now require proof. The best way is to clear in then out to another country before returning to Turkey.