DEKPA question

overstag

Visit site
I am a Dutch sailor who has bought a Dutch flagged boat which is in the Ionian from another Dutchman.
The previous owner had a DEKPA. I am now wondering how I should get my own DEKPA for this boat.
The boat is already in Greece, so the "first port of call" thing doesn't really apply, does it?
Should I just go to the port police of the port where the boat is now? Or do I open a whole can of worms because of the sale of the Dutch boat while it is in Greece?

Thanks for your thoughts.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
No can of worms really , to save a lot of question , I wouldn't say anything about that you just bought the boat , just go to the PP and say you just arrived from Italy and you need a new DEKPA , show the reg doc insurance passport and they will sell you the new DEKPA and charge you an extra 15 Euros for entrying Greece .
Or you can just be honsty and tell them it new to you and show them the old DEKPA where it may take a bit long and they may ask a lot more question and want to see other Document .

Last edited:

overstag

Visit site
Thanks for that.

I've heard that there is a central database for the DEKPA's that they actually use. So my boat would be in it, I guess. I've kept the same boatname and just changed the registration to my name.
From the Cruising Association's website:

Note that the DEKPA and Transit Log details are entered onto an online database so that the port police in any port can check that all visiting vessels have a valid permit to cruise without having to speak to the boat. This system will also be used to check on TPP payments (see below).

Perhaps better to be honest here?

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
We bought a boat in Greece four years ago. We changed her name so assumed we'd need a new DEKPA. No problem getting one (in Preveza, which is probably very familiar with boats changing hands).

Mildly surprised to hear of the system's being computerised: PP and microchips seem very unlikely bedfellows.

dolphin

Visit site
i have changed the flag of the boat and with the new docs ( certificate of registry , insurance, yearly contract for use of marina berth) plus the old dekpa i have visited the port police and they issued a new one
it take me around 1-2 hours in poros
do not see a problem, why not to tell the truth
if i am not wrong, the transit log is connected with the custom (import of goods) and dekpa is with port authorities (sailing permission)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
i have changed the flag of the boat and with the new docs ( certificate of registry , insurance, yearly contract for use of marina berth) plus the old dekpa i have visited the port police and they issued a new one
it take me around 1-2 hours in poros
do not see a problem, why not to tell the truth
if i am not wrong, the transit log is connected with the custom (import of goods) and dekpa is with port authorities (sailing permission)

There is no Transit log with an EU boat just the DEKPA and as MAC just said I also be very suprise if the system is on any computer system , what ever you read here . But them I may be wrong :) .
No reason for not telling the truth if you don't mind extending your time in there office . Best to take a picnic :)

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
and as MAC just said I also be very suprised if the system is on any computer system , what ever you read here . But then I may be wrong :) .

The photocopier is the technology of choice for the Greek port police, followed by the lever arch file. I believe that one of the photocopies they make is sent to Athens, where no doubt it ends up in another lever arch file somewhere.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The photocopier is the technology of choice for the Greek port police, followed by the lever arch file. I believe that one of the photocopies they make is sent to Athens, where no doubt it ends up in another lever arch file somewhere.

Vyv it's what's call Greek 2016 computerisation system . :) .
I still have a good laugh when some years back I went to the tax off to pay the tax and the computer the lady was useing was some thing that Moses passed on to them , and what even funnier was when I was ask if I wanted a recipt .
I sure she was having a laugh .

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
I would visit the PP with the existing DEKPA and the Bill Of Sale showing that you have bought the boat legally. There was a shortage of DEKPA forms in Greece last year, I don't know whether that has been remedied, so you might find they simply amend the details on the front of the existing form and let you carry on using that. I have seen this done on other people's DEKPA forms in the past.

OldBawley

Visit site
I would be grateful if you could let me know where a new Dekpa can be bought.
Some months ago I needed a new one and could not find a place where they ware for sale.

Not Poros, Aegina, Porto cheli, Hydra, Ermioni, Kranidi, Nafplion, Monemvasia.
Maybe some have a new stock now.
Please inform.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I would be grateful if you could let me know where a new Dekpa can be bought.
Some months ago I needed a new one and could not find a place where they ware for sale.

Not Poros, Aegina, Porto cheli, Hydra, Ermioni, Kranidi, Nafplion, Monemvasia.
Maybe some have a new stock now.
Please inform.
I will print one out for you , and email it to you . Do you want me to stamp it too :)

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
I would visit the PP with the existing DEKPA and the Bill Of Sale showing that you have bought the boat legally. There was a shortage of DEKPA forms in Greece last year, I don't know whether that has been remedied, so you might find they simply amend the details on the front of the existing form and let you carry on using that. I have seen this done on other people's DEKPA forms in the past.
+1

And yes, the July 2014 plan was that all DEKPA live on a database. Apparently a similar system to that used for vehicles.

I keep up to date with all matters relating to cruising regulations in EU countries - often with the help of posts on this forum, and to my own web site, www.jimbsail.info

The Greek page, http://www.jimbsail.info/greece is up to date. All updates over the last year are highlighted.

jonrarit

Visit site
I was in Corfu last week launching my new (to me) boat. The PP office in Gouvia isnt open until May so I went to the main PP in Corfu town after 15 mins showing documents, including the old DEKPA I was told they were out of stock forms and to come back again when I'm next out in May when they should have more in stock !!!!

It was a Friday afternoon and the officer was very polite but suspect I may have had more success earlier in the morning :)

Oh the joys

JR

Tranona

Visit site
They are always out of stock! Gave up on them after weeks of trying and eventually got mine in Mourtos.