Dehumidifier what in the best method of installation

sailingrbg

Visit site
Can anyone advise how best to connect my (new) dehumidifier. I am concerned (possible unnecessarily) that if I connect the output from the dehumidifier to the seacock for the galley sink, that there is the possibility that if the exit at the skin fitting freezes on the outside (due to extremely low outside temp) and the dehumidifier is still expelling water from the boat that this could damage either the hose connection to the seacock or the seacock itself the other option is to put the output into the sink but could still have the same problem if the hull exit freeze. Has anyone had a similar problem?

(my current thought is only to have the dehumidifier on for a couple of hours a day but even then have it on about lunch time
me when hopefully the outside temp will be higher)

Any help or thoughts on if damage to seacock if water freezes in them would be appreciated

pvb

Visit site
No pressure...

There's no pressure in the outlet hose of a dehumidifier - it's simply a gravity feed from an open tray under the evaporator where the water collects. It can't do any damage to a hose or a seacock.

michael_w

Visit site
Are you afloat or ashore? if ashore use the log aperture; longish piece of hose and it won't dribble down the hull.

Fill

Visit site
If the boat doesn't have a heater on and it's cold enough to freeze outside then the dehumidifier will stop working! Nice bit of positive feedback I think.

MrG_2

Visit site
We have ours sitting there with its own collection tank that stops it when it full. Means we have some idea of quantity being sucked out of the boat.
We did try it straight into the sink, which worked ok.
Our methods ok if there's people around the boat most of the time.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
I have mine draining into an old mug standing in the sink (boat afloat), so the mug overflows into the sink if it fills up.

So I can at least see that the dehumidifier is working, although during the course of the winter I find it doesn't fill the mug over a couple of weeks period.

davidfox

Visit site
Buy a cheap time clock, run it 8-12 hrs a day (i run it in the early hours), discharge into the sink, been doing this for 6+ years ashore and afloat and had no probs whatever the weather

Powersalt

Visit site
As said before, I run mine into the sink and leave it on all winter. The bill with the heater seems to be about £80, so I think is well worth it.

Dont put the plug in the sink though. I did hear a story where that happened and the boat ended up with a overflowing sink which ruined carpets and fittings.

sailingrbg

Visit site
Many thanks for your assitance. My yacht is currently on the hard stand but have connected the output from the dehumidifier onto the galley sink seacock and hopefully if the outside temp freezes it will not damage the seacock if ice collects. Also my dehumidifier (B&Q) aparrently will not work if the temp falls to low so hopefully this should be ok
Many thanks for your response

doris

Visit site
been leaving it in the sink for years now. Now ill effects. One thing though....if you stick a bit of plastic tube, about 6 inches into the outside drain hole it will stop the water running down the hull/keel.