Deck shoes - best ones?

www.bavariayacht.info
Perhaps we should substitute "put on clothes or shoes" for "open his mouth".

I don't despise anyone, even those with leather deck shoes :)

I was just posting my opinion that the fashion seems incongruous; shoemakers have jumped on the bandwagon, and now the world and his wife are wearing them. Reminds me to re-market my chocolate fire-guard :D

Sorry if anyone took offence, it was meant in jest.

wklein

Visit site
I don't despise anyone, even those with leather deck shoes :)

I was just posting my opinion that the fashion seems incongruous; shoemakers have jumped on the bandwagon, and now the world and his wife are wearing them. Reminds me to re-market my chocolate fire-guard :D

Sorry if anyone took offence, it was meant in jest.
I have had a few big name deck trainers and they haven't stood up anywhere near as well as leather ones. It's a very good material for the job.

As a side note I had massive problems with slippy soles a while back. I narrowed it down to stray fuel in the tender reacting with the sole. Hope that helps someone.

Robin B

Visit site
Dubarrys for me - I find they have plenty of grip and are, without doubt, the most comfortable shoes I have ever bought.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Best deck shoes I bought was from ALDI £9.99, still good after 2 years and good grip, they get them in every year first at £13.99 then reduce them, why pay more :).

Tintin

Visit site
Not sure that we are on the same wavelength here at all.

Firstly what is the connection between wearing a Navy Captains and your opinion of what people look like wearing deck shoes? Secondly, although some people wear odd and perhaps inappropriate clothing for fashion reasons or as a 'fad', I am not sure the popularity of deck shoes has anything much to do with fashion or fads. If they didn't work, then the boating public would walk away (sic) from them and wear something else. After all there are plenty of cheaper options available. I am not persuaded that the boat owning public are so gullible that they will continue to buy a product year after year that doesn't perform. Personally I find deck shoes comfortable and practical, but you obviously don't like them so I suspect I will not change your mind with my protests... Of course come people ponce about in the 'lastest fashionable yachting clothing'. Let them get on with it - and most people can spot the difference.

Leather deck shoes, basic ones without poncy nu fabrics, last well, put up with being regularly wet, and don't stink as much as synthetics.

And at £50 for a pair of Chathams in their sales they seem like good value to me - I seem to get 3 years out of each pair with a fair amount of use.

Carmel2

Visit site
Sorry to bring back an old thread! But my Keen Newport's are as smooth as a baby's bum, and now act more like ice skates. This is after 3 year's use, mind. The uppers are fine, the soles are as thick as a brick, but the grip has worn away. So I have them out in the sun at about 35 degrees and this afternoon I am going to take a stanley knife to them and try and carve new grip! Anyone else done this with any success?

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
I had some Quaysides that went hard and slippery over time ... I've now decided that the best ones are what I used to wear 30 plus years ago ... anything with a razor cut sole.

Yngmar

Visit site
Has anyone tried these? I've ordered a pair to try as they're on special offer at the moment, but I find Hotter shoes are well-fitting and comfortable. They don't break the bank either!

I have some "Hotter" shoes (with clear/light soles, not black), and their non-slip properties are not great on wet (smooth) GRP or stainless steel. Compared to my ridiculously expensive Musto boots that I bought some time ago.

I also have some "Vans off the wall", which are canvas shoes for skateboarders. Skateboarders interestingly have similar needs - grippy shoes to not slip off their boards even when wet. Those were cheap, work fairly well and have light soles. They do however slip on the corrugated metal bridges between marina pontoons (and the swan poo on the jetty), but grip well on GRP and teak.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
[/QUOTE] They do however slip on the corrugated metal bridges between marina pontoons [/QUOTE]

Friends wife did a nasty slip on just such alloy strip last year and broke ankle first day of trip, joining the boat from the U.S. Had to return as cast was just too much!

My DIY nonslip on the deck is so good its sanded my Teva sandles smooth and they are a real danger anywhere else aboard and on the pontoons.

My Musto boot soles have gone hard and need a sanding to give a short term improvement and perhaps a sharp stanly knife to give them one last season.

I'm beginning to suffer from bad knees and the Doc' reckons it could be sailing in lightweight shoes with no support.

I've started to sail in my heavy walking shoes. Not ideal but the knees are improving.

S.