Deck shoes - best ones?

Best I have had by far are some from Decathlon.

http://www.decathlon.fr/clipper-cr500-h-bleu-id_8122638.html

Comfy as slippers, super "sticky" on wet or dry decks & dry quickly & good price.

I bought a pair last year and they were so good I bought a second pair this year. First pair after a full season are showing slight signs of wear in the sole but to be fair, I just wear them all the time - on the boat, going shopping etc. That's how comfy they are. I was interested to see that most the staff at our marina are also wearing them now.

Not sure if they are available at Decathlon in UK but they are available by mail order from Decathlon France.

Tribord Bleu Jeans, still going strong after quite a few years, but beginning to look a bit sad now and the soles are beginning to harden. Greatvalue though, only €50!
http://www.decathlon.fr/clipper-homme-bleu-jeans-id_8327665.html

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
If you want Musto's then go to a Clarks, preferably one in a boaty area. At least some of them are re-branded Musto's. I'm still using a couple of pairs at least 3 years old and I have no problems with the grip - they are supremely comfortable too. The shops seem to have nearly as many sales as a discount furniture store too.

http://www.clarks.co.uk/c/mens-all#pagesize-is-40-and-style-is-boatshoes

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I asked the same question many months ago. Having seen an advert for Conker Deck Shoes in an old magazine. As I already owned a pair of their shoes, a bit alternative but great fun, I popped down to Totnes, twinned with Narnia, and had a long discussion with them about their deck shoes, as they are a little more expensive than other brands. What "sold" it for me was that fact that I can get them resoled, repaired, re-stitched, bits added and bits removed. You can even have them custom made, a bit OTT for a pair of deck shoes in my opinion. The are bl00dy brilliant.

At the Devon County Show this year saw a bargain an end of line Chatham deck shoe, marked down from £90 to £15. Took them on a pals boat this summer on a two week trip and they are now only fit for the bin.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Crocs and only Crocs. Very wide, or the sport version are extra super wide, incredibly light, incredibly grippy.

Hmmm... I wear original Crocs once in port, but on deck they are slipperier than snail snot....

In the spirit of Scotty Tradewind's post... Gladys' decks are the fine Treadmaster which has been painted. I have used Musto and Dubarry shoes on it and they are fine in any conditions. Crocs and bare feet are really slippery. Unlike others here I love the Dubarry soles, haven't suffered from hardening on any of my slip on leather, boots or trainer style deck shoes, and feel very secure in them. My oldest pair of DB's are 8 years and worn extensively off the boat. Even now that the ball of my foot is going bald, they are still good. (Not used afloat much as I find they slip off too easily). I've never paid full price, the trainer style ones came from SIBS 2 years ago and were £18 - but it helps taking 12-13 shoes!

Last edited:

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Hmmm... I wear original Crocs once in port, but on deck they are slipperier than snail snot....
:encouragement::D:D

Perhaps we should then look at what is most comfy, most waterproof or has fantastic grip according to our needs. Also, the types of deck and sole non slip on our boats.

After going base over apex on pontoon woodwork and slipping on the sole of my cockpit a few times last season, due to slippery soles, I have had to change my footwear this summer.. again!

Due to dodgy knees, I also now wear my very stout Clarks 'Air '(made in Vietnam) lace up shoes, which have a non marking excellent grip sole..... a bit clumpy but 'a man in need''!

I have a non slip on deck of DIY pale grey resin, sieved over with fine shell grit.
One cannot make love on it but it so superior to any other non slip I've experienced.

Inside the boat its a bit like a rain forest.... solid teak sole etc. On the area between galley and nav' desk, at the bottom of the companionway, is an area which was slippy and dangerous whilst at sea, especially close hauled.
Although my old tub has plenty of hand holds, this could be an area of real problems for us.

One of my crew prior to crossing Biscay in 2015. laid neat strips of non slip self adhesive tape, that has similar to an aggressive emery cloth on t'other side.
It was such a success for this trip, that I have left it on and having lost some of the severity of its surface, is now superb. It did collect fluff at first and some food when dropped, but we have a small brass wired brush which instantly clears that.

S.