Deck replacement

azzo

Visit site
I am planning to replace the decks on my Miracle dinghy. Any hints on how best to remove the old decking without causing too much damage would be helpful.
The decks are glued and pinned down on the original building instructions but with modern adhesives would it be possible to just glue the decks ?

I live in Warrington and am looking for a good marine ply supplier in the area.

regards John

oldsaltoz

Visit site
I am planning to replace the decks on my Miracle dinghy. Any hints on how best to remove the old decking without causing too much damage would be helpful.
The decks are glued and pinned down on the original building instructions but with modern adhesives would it be possible to just glue the decks ?

I live in Warrington and am looking for a good marine ply supplier in the area.

regards John

I would start by finding the support structure, tapping will indicate the location of them, cut a hole large enough to get your arm inside and feel around for any obstructions.

Having located them, cut as close as possible to the supports, a jig saw is good, then remove the remaining strips with a sharp chisel and peeling action.

If you treat the ply and supports with an epoxy or other suitable product you should not require top class ply, just a good veneer.

Dry fit all sections before adding any fasteners to check the fit is good; then make sure you have some form of spacer between the joints to ensure all the glue is not squeezed out when assembling. A common cause of failure.:eek:

Hope this helps.

Avagoodweekend......:rolleyes: