Deben entrance 2024

RivalRedwing

Visit site
I'm curious about one thing. Why does Trinity House survey and maintain the buoys at the entrance to the Deben when it doesn't for Hamford Water and the Walton channel? Not complaining; just wondering how they decide! Commercial interest can't be the reason - Hamford Water has a more active commercial operation (the explosives factory at Oakley Creek, with several freighters a year) than anything on the Deben. Historic activity is also the same for both; barges went up to Walton.
I suspect it is because the Deben and Ore are both dynamic estuaries which are also potentially hazardous in adverse conditions and there is also a 'historical' precedent at play, it is probably also good from a training perspective too. Stone Point is interesting at present but it has a very competent Club keeping an eye on it, the route across the bay to Oakley Creek seems stable in a way that the Ore and Deben entrances are not.

jezjez

Visit site
Came in to the Deben on Thursday last week. I have come in from the Orwell every spring for the last few seasons in late March or early April, this is the first time I have ever asked John White if he could show me the route in.
It was actually very simple (not least because he knew the way), and I dare say even staying with the current bouyage would have been near enough ok - but on balance it was probably worth being shown the route this time. Essentially, we followed the bouyage until a bit before the second red and made for the last green ‘early.’
We had 1.2 under our 1.5 keel at the lowest point 2 hours before HW on a 4M tide, it’s been worse for depth before now.

Johnny WAFI

Visit site
Photos taken of the Deben entrance at LW 0.5m Harwich on 15th February 2024.

The buoys are in the 2023 positions and the Trinity House survey hasn't taken place yet, so it will be a few weeks before the buoys are moved.

You will see that the old channel running parallel to the golf course has nearly closed up.

John White the Harbourmaster says he is concerned as there is now a dogleg in the channel and John Barber (assistant Harbourmaster) reports that there isn't much depth at either end.

John

View attachment 172724

View attachment 172725

View attachment 172726
Photos taken of the Deben entrance at LW 0.5m Harwich on 15th February 2024.

The buoys are in the 2023 positions and the Trinity House survey hasn't taken place yet, so it will be a few weeks before the buoys are moved.

You will see that the old channel running parallel to the golf course has nearly closed up.

John White the Harbourmaster says he is concerned as there is now a dogleg in the channel and John Barber (assistant Harbourmaster) reports that there isn't much depth at either end.

John

View attachment 172724

View attachment 172725

View attachment 172726
Hello, I have just spoken to John Barber and I am a little concerned. Have any of you been past the bar this year ? If so what is your draught and how did it go? My interpretation of John's advice is (going out) to head for the green Deben buoy, ignore Knoll spit red and head for the correct side of red West Knoll leaving it 10m to starboard.

MikeBz

Visit site
Hello, I have just spoken to John Barber and I am a little concerned. Have any of you been past the bar this year ? If so what is your draught and how did it go? My interpretation of John's advice is (going out) to head for the green Deben buoy, ignore Knoll spit red and head for the correct side of red West Knoll leaving it 10m to starboard.
See the post immediately before yours.

PeterR

Visit site
Latest news from East Coast Pilot

DEBEN and ORE ENTRANCES (Updated 25th April 2024)
We do not yet have 2024 survey data for the Ore entrance, and buoyage there is still absent.
Imrays have received the new survey data for the Deben entrance from Trinity House, and we should have the new 'official' chartlet online within a week or so. In the meantime, two of the Deben entrance buoys will be moved to their new positions in the next few days.
The new positions will be as follows -
Mid Knolls - move to 51deg 58'.645N 001deg 23'.780E
West Knolls - move to 51deg 58'.790N 001deg 23'.690E

You are still strongly advised to consult the HM (details in ECP) before attempting entry or exit.