Dealer discounts

G

Can anyone help? What discount should I ask for when buying a new boat like a Fairline Phantom 46 from a dealer? Does anyone know what roughly the dealer's margin is?

G

I don't know the true figure but it must be at least 20% mark up, not a bad earner on a Phantom 46 price, I'd leave it untill after LBS when they can't shift the stock boats, then start low offers, you can only go up untill you call it a day.

Paul js.

MRC

Visit site
Not sure on the margins - When looking for a new boat i managed to get 10% discount on a fairline at the SBS.

G

sounds believeable: BA peters get something as sole distributor for Uk and Spain. Possibly 7%? making 25 total? or 2% ? nah. I am told that sealine is "better thanfairline" margin-wise.

G

Thanks guys. These info would certainly help my negotiation!

What about discounts on optional extras? Does anyone manage to get any discounts?

I notice the following :

An extra fender:
Sealine T47: 28 pounds inclusive of VAT
Fairline Phantom 46: 36 pounds exclusive VAT

Eberspacher Central Heating D8L:
Sealine T47: 3676 pounds inclusive of VAT
Fairline P46: 4172 pounds exclusive of VAT

Rope cutters:
Sealine T47: 1087 pounds incl VAT
Fairline P46: 1201 pounds ex VAT

I could go on....

Is Fairline pulling our (sea) legs?

jfm

Visit site
Re: Eberspacher

Wow Leo those are big differences. The farline fenders do come with sox that have an embroidered F'line logo though!

Re Eberspacher, a friend of mine who works just along the corridor from me took deliv of a beautiful Grand Soleil 43 sloop last week. He was quoted an incredible factory-fit price for the Eberspacher, but only a few hundred pounds to have the ducting factory-installed, without the actual Eberspacher unit fitted. Then he has a local Eberspacher agent in Lymington fitting the Eberspacher for a day's labour plus the cost of the unit which I think is around the £1500 mark. If it's not too much trouble, you could do the same maybe?

G

Re: excellent research

Excellent research leo.

1. Fenders I saw a new p46, fenders look a bit titchy. Leave and get a decent ball-type one(s)?

2. The telly option was hopeless, selling grundig mult-country version for 500 quid but 160 in dixons, and anyway who wants french tv, and also anyway, reception useless so best get an all in one thing for vhs (simpsons not fully out on dvd yet, see) with input for sepret dvd thing.

3. Are the beds crap foam? Hve a look at a sqquadron catalogue: they incl proper sprung mattresses. Praps incl on phantom praps not. If not, worth speccing. or mebbe beds r us can make a sprung mattress. Don't keep nasty sponge.

4. Have a crawl thru sqaddie catalogu for things you may have missed.

5. Anchor chain calibration always goes wrong.

6. Bettr discounts probly at BA Peters, but they may not play ball if you've been declared as a customer by the dealer to Peters. Or have you?

7. No blue hull, no sale IMHO.

8. Try researching retrofit on other stuff? Genrator fairly essential imho, aircon in uk not so and will go manky unless used. Good option is extra sockets. eberspacher is ok but fastest way to get heat is nasty cheapy throwaway fan heater, tho not to be used unles u on board and not at nite. I found that it (purchase of new fairline) IS NOT like a car - cut a hole in the dash and then complain to Ford dealer and he'll tell u to sod off. No such caper with boats - they tell you to go to the compoanet manufacturer (ie tell u to sod off) straightaway, so best get massive discount.

9. I had ropecutters, cost and speed loss (2-3 knots?) too great imho so chuckedem. Still got other rope around props. Can bu a lot of diver help with the money.

other yahoo-priced fairline options being considered?

10% off base at least 20% of options then?

G

Thanks everybody. I will take the advice: get the generator and sockets but try to fit as many options after the purchase as possible.

G

oh, especially passarelles for the med: 6k in the med for a decent aftermarket one, not 10k+ for junk like I bought.

Other threads that may be of interest