Davit Musings

Neeves

Visit site
I'd rather the offending vessel hit and destroyed the davits than hit and destroyed one or both transoms. Our davits are 'inside' the transoms.

But as we don't frequent marinas the fear has never reached even close to reality.

:)

We only made this mistake once. We had the dinghy on the davits. We were being returned to the water after AF and servicing the prop anodes. I put the engines into forward and reversed straight into a pile behind us - I'd replaced the wrong props on the shafts. Our engines are identical but one is in front of the sail drive the other behind The unmoving pile was straddled by the 2 davits - thank fully - so that the dinghy acted as a rigid fender.

We had to be hurriedly returned to dry land so that I could swap the props round.

Jonathan

dunedin

Visit site
I'd rather the offending vessel hit and destroyed the davits than hit and destroyed one or both transoms. Our davits are 'inside' the transoms.

But as we don't frequent marinas the fear has never reached even close to reality.

:)

We only made this mistake once. We had the dinghy on the davits. We were being returned to the water after AF and servicing the prop anodes. I put the engines into forward and reversed straight into a pile behind us - I'd replaced the wrong props on the shafts. Our engines are identical but one is in front of the sail drive the other behind The unmoving pile was straddled by the 2 davits - thank fully - so that the dinghy acted as a rigid fender.

We had to be hurriedly returned to dry land so that I could swap the props round.

Jonathan
Brilliant. That one should be submitted to Yachting Monthly for their Confessional !

dunedin

Visit site
Reading the last few posts - makes me appreciate more the Plastimo idea of slot into deck sockets ... I assume they can swivel inwards once a pin or bolts removed ??
Precisely. No bolts to remove, just lift, turn and push down again.
* When doing occasional multi day deep water crossings (beyond forecast confidence limits) we deflate the dinghy and rotate the davits 90 degrees and tie together - making extra safety enclosure at stern.
* In winter we deflate dinghy and remove the davits entirely and cover the holes with plugs.
* And if somebody who doesn’t like davits wants to buy the boat in future, no issue as leave davits off, hence doesn’t reduce saleability.
Perfect for us.

Neeves

Visit site
Brilliant. That one should be submitted to Yachting Monthly for their Confessional !
We now use two cardboard boxes, marked Port and Starboard. Its so simple. At the time you panic - because you simply don't expect nor understand and it takes time for reality to set in (part of which is 'how stupid'.

Jonathan