Dashboard instruments

jeremybailey

Hi everyone.

I'd love to get into motorboat restoration as a hobby. I am a complete beginner. Please could you let me know what typical instruments go in each of the cut outs in the picture
byGxO9.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Jeremy.

petem

Jeremy, welcome to the forum.

Left and right are speakers, rectangle left of steering wheel is CD players! Portrait shaped rectangle could have been some kind of depth gauge / fishfinder. Other circular cut out perhaps some kind of speedometer.

Best way forward would be to fabricate a new panel and mount whatever rev counter is compatible with your outboard. Match it with a speedometer (less important though).

Would be good to also have a way of displaying engine temperature, fuel level and low oil pressure warning.

Buy a cheap marine GPS unit for navigation and speed over ground and carry a portable VHF radio.

Pete

jeremybailey

Looks like the holes were cut with an axe! :D

Yes haha they do look like that! Not my boat, it's on I saw on ebay that I liked the look of. Sadly I don't have the money for it or a restoration at the moment however I am saving for it! :D

jeremybailey

Jeremy, welcome to the forum.

Left and right are speakers, rectangle left of steering wheel is CD players! Portrait shaped rectangle could have been some kind of depth gauge / fishfinder. Other circular cut out perhaps some kind of speedometer.

Best way forward would be to fabricate a new panel and mount whatever rev counter is compatible with your outboard. Match it with a speedometer (less important though).

Would be good to also have a way of displaying engine temperature, fuel level and low oil pressure warning.

Buy a cheap marine GPS unit for navigation and speed over ground and carry a portable VHF radio.

Pete

Thank you very much Pete! As a beginner at only 18 I usually get, lets say, less than useful replies from people, however you are not one of them. I take in everything that everyone says and find it very useful.

I was thinking the same, a fuel meter, engine temp, oil pressure etc would be very useful as well as the other things you mentioned.

Again, thanks a lot! :)

Jeremy

petem

Thank you very much Pete! As a beginner at only 18 I usually get, lets say, less than useful replies from people, however you are not one of them. I take in everything that everyone says and find it very useful.

I was thinking the same, a fuel meter, engine temp, oil pressure etc would be very useful as well as the other things you mentioned.

Again, thanks a lot! :)

Jeremy

You're lucky I've used all my rubbish replies up on my own son :). Anyhow, if you're looking for a project, I'd be tempted to find one where someone has done the basic structural stuff and has run out of time / patience. Some of the ones on eBay look like they're only fit for the skip. Doing a boat up will teach you a lot of skills that you might find useful as you upsize.

Regarding parts, these can be bought on eBay or boat jumbles. Or post a thread here, might be that someone has a part that they no longer required and will sell it for a good price.

Good luck!