Dashboard instruments

jeremybailey

Visit site
Hi everyone.

I'd love to get into motorboat restoration as a hobby. I am a complete beginner. Please could you let me know what typical instruments go in each of the cut outs in the picture
byGxO9.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Jeremy.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Jeremy, welcome to the forum.

Left and right are speakers, rectangle left of steering wheel is CD players! Portrait shaped rectangle could have been some kind of depth gauge / fishfinder. Other circular cut out perhaps some kind of speedometer.

Best way forward would be to fabricate a new panel and mount whatever rev counter is compatible with your outboard. Match it with a speedometer (less important though).

Would be good to also have a way of displaying engine temperature, fuel level and low oil pressure warning.

Buy a cheap marine GPS unit for navigation and speed over ground and carry a portable VHF radio.

Pete

jeremybailey

Visit site
Jeremy, welcome to the forum.

Left and right are speakers, rectangle left of steering wheel is CD players! Portrait shaped rectangle could have been some kind of depth gauge / fishfinder. Other circular cut out perhaps some kind of speedometer.

Best way forward would be to fabricate a new panel and mount whatever rev counter is compatible with your outboard. Match it with a speedometer (less important though).

Would be good to also have a way of displaying engine temperature, fuel level and low oil pressure warning.

Buy a cheap marine GPS unit for navigation and speed over ground and carry a portable VHF radio.

Pete

Thank you very much Pete! As a beginner at only 18 I usually get, lets say, less than useful replies from people, however you are not one of them. I take in everything that everyone says and find it very useful.

I was thinking the same, a fuel meter, engine temp, oil pressure etc would be very useful as well as the other things you mentioned.

Again, thanks a lot! :)

Jeremy

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Thank you very much Pete! As a beginner at only 18 I usually get, lets say, less than useful replies from people, however you are not one of them. I take in everything that everyone says and find it very useful.

I was thinking the same, a fuel meter, engine temp, oil pressure etc would be very useful as well as the other things you mentioned.

Again, thanks a lot! :)

Jeremy

You're lucky I've used all my rubbish replies up on my own son :). Anyhow, if you're looking for a project, I'd be tempted to find one where someone has done the basic structural stuff and has run out of time / patience. Some of the ones on eBay look like they're only fit for the skip. Doing a boat up will teach you a lot of skills that you might find useful as you upsize.

Regarding parts, these can be bought on eBay or boat jumbles. Or post a thread here, might be that someone has a part that they no longer required and will sell it for a good price.

Good luck!