Dark waters: how the adventure of a lifetime turned to tragedy

MisterBaxter

Visit site
I read the article and found it interesting, but I didn't feel that it addressed the underlying issue, which seems to me to be that racing a yacht around the world has some inherent risks that can't really be fully mitigated, and the people who sign up do so because they want to face some risk and hardship. But can we as a society accept that some people choose to do things that might result in injury or death?
That said, in this case it did sound as though the lifeline setup might not have been ideal - he was clipped on to a location and with a line length that allowed him to go right overboard and be dragged along through the water. But obviously you'd need to see the deck layout to properly comment on that.

dunedin

Visit site
So why is this article newsworthy 6 years after the event. And after the second qualified mate was introduced, following these concerns?
The lifeline issues were also extensively debated at the time, on hetevand elsewhere, though not sure if manufacturers in the end made any effective modifications to the clups.

Adios

Visit site
"There have been other fatal accidents on the Clipper race, too. On 4 September 2015, Andrew Ashman, 49, a paramedic from Orpington, south-east London, was standing in a known danger zone in the yacht’s cockpit area when he was struck by the boom and suffered a fatal neck injury."

Standing in the cockpit? The maniac. Someone should be sued.

Adios

Visit site
But can we as a society accept that some people choose to do things that might result in injury or death?
The message is clear

iu

Adios

Visit site
My view is that trhe hatchet could be sharper: I'm a bit cynical about companies organising 'races' for profit.

Accidents on board yacht CV21 resulting in loss of 2 lives
Imagine being one of the remaining crew on that yacht where 2 were already killed, wondering which one of them was next.

Its definitely not something I would expect to be very safe or enjoyable. A large yacht with heavy gear crewed by random inexperienced people who had a fantasy of themselves as global voyagers but not enough gumption or will to learn to spend the 50-100K on a boat of their own and expenses to do it by themselves. Its not a safety in numbers situation, more like the reverse.

Supine Being

Visit site
"There have been other fatal accidents on the Clipper race, too. On 4 September 2015, Andrew Ashman, 49, a paramedic from Orpington, south-east London, was standing in a known danger zone in the yacht’s cockpit area when he was struck by the boom and suffered a fatal neck injury."

Standing in the cockpit? The maniac. Someone should be sued.

There's an awful lot of power in that rig. The phrase used is as per Clipper Races' own training, and as quoted below from the MAIB report:

The area forward of the mainsheet traveller winches to the aft grinder had been
identified as a danger zone. The area was recognised as being unsafe when sailing
downwind as, should an accidental gybe occur, there was a risk of the mainsheet whipping across the area and potentially injuring anyone there. The danger zone was not marked out on deck but the crews’ training made it clear that the area was to be avoided.
Meanwhile, Andrew moved forward into the area known to the crew as the danger zone and stepped over the mainsheet traveller. Still tethered to the same D-ring, Andrew moved towards the aft winch grinder and called for his watch to gather for a briefing on the reefing evolution.

Adios

Visit site
There's an awful lot of power in that rig.
True. I wouldn't want to start a job doing this where everyone else is new as well. Thats the problem with these paying crew things. If the whole crew was professional with one or 2 greenhorns it might be ok. But the whole crew is amateurs with some training. It might be worse than a volunteer crew if the people are paying they might be even less professional and more entitled feeling/stroppy/unmanageable.

iu

steve yates

Visit site
Its ocean racing, it shouldnt be a payable event for punters to play in anyway, but since it is, then they pays their money and they takes their chances. If you participate in dangerous risk sports you have to expect injury or death as potential outcomes.
These are circumstances where your own personal judgement and experience are paramount, and the backup of carefully chosen, loyal, partners. In a dangerous place or situation, you do not want to be relying on random punters you do not know. Sometimes, you just get ot wrong, or are just unlucky, then you pay the price.
C’est La Vie.

Supine Being

Visit site
True. I would you want to start a job doing this where everyone else is new as well. Thats the problem with these paying crew things. If the whole crew was professional with one or 2 greenhorns it might be ok. But the whole crew is amateurs with some training. It might be worse than a volunteer crew if the people are paying they might be even less professional and more entitled feeling/stroppy/unmanageable.

iu

Absolutely agree! I was chatting to someone a while back, saying that I used to quite fancy doing a Clipper but I didn't have the time or money. Now that I could feasibly arrange both of those things, there's no way I'm interested. And the person I was talking to had exactly the same thoughts.

Maybe I'm just a little older and wiser (everything is relative), but if I take a risk, I want to take it on my own terms. If I'm relying on crew members and someone else's equipment, I want to know that they are trustworthy. If a crew mate has never sailed until about 6 months ago, even if they are smart and motivated, then no amount of training can be a substitute for time spent at sea and the experience to spot how a situation is developing. And you might be on a boat full of them, barrelling down waves in the southern ocean.

There are too many variables as a paying customer on these things and, as someone said earlier in the thread, it's simply impossible to mitigate against many of the risks. It's not for me.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
"But can we as a society accept that some people choose to do things that might result in injury or death?" - let's put this the other way around: how can "we as a" society survive this relentless, and horrendous, modern campaign to stop people choosing to do things that they enjoy because those things might result in injury or death? This way lies madness... whatever you enjoy doing will end up in their sights eventually... and don't forget people die every year trying to put their trousers on.

Personally I think joining a race in the Southern Ocean with no experience, on a crew mostly composed of (as Athomson says) random inexperienced people, is an choice I myself would probably not make. Many people seem to enjoy it - I can still be happy for them.