Dan Lee online varnishing course - experiences?

mullet

Visit site
I'm seeing a lot of targeted advertising for an online varnishing course. I get tollerable results with my varnishing but have the odd failure which takes a fair amount of time to deal with. I know varnishing is not rocket surgery but if this course helps me get better results, avoid mishaps, or save time then it might be worth the cost. Interested if anyone has bought it and, if so, whether you rate it?

Concerto

Visit site
If you are having problems with varnishing, why no explain the problems here as the forum should be able to give good tips.

For external woodwork I prefer Le Tonkinoise Classic tradional oil based varnish. It is very easy to apply and get a good finish but it is a soft varnish. This means it can get scratched easily but very simple to retouch any problem areas. It also requires a couple of new coats every couple of years after the the inital minimum of 6 coats. My washboards I started with 12 coats each side and after 5 years I am just about to apply a couple of new coats.

Le Tonkinois

lustyd

Visit site
The trouble is the forum will give 35 conflicting answers from 12 people and very likely end up with an anchor recommendation 😂 sometimes tuition is a good option

scozzy

Visit site
As a self employed decorator of 30 plus years we could talk all day about finishes to use however,as always, ANY finish is almost totally dependent on the preparation and condition of the surface to be painted....what timber is it?is it bare? weathered? can you control the enviroment for both application and drying? existing finish oil based/water..unknown? soft/blackened areas?
As a starter ,teak is quite an oily timber by itself and these pages are full of the good bad and otherwise of oiling,varnishing etc...but in every case you need the preparation to be spot on otherwise a failure is all but guaranteed,not really an answer i know,id haunt youtube for a few sessions and take the best out of that particular rabbithole and then prep well,good luck