Damsel in distress

Admiral Fitzroy

Visit site
Well, ish. Call it early mid-life crisis, call it the wanderlust brought on from glimpsing a tiny little more independence now my baby has turned one. I wish to seek your wise counsel about what yachts you would put on your wishlist if you were in my position, thus:

Practical, experienced reformed-racing sailor with a passion for classic yachts (but neither the time nor budget for their upkeep) WLTM approx. 30ft monohull capable of easy singlehanded sailing. Solid, seakindly, comfortable with a hint of wood-panelled library down below to keep my (keen but creature-comfort loving) husband happy. Budget approx. £30k. However, I am really not keen on tubby, slow yachts (I'm not naming names; you know who I mean).

The Solent and south-coast will be the primary cruising ground, but I'd love to sail to the Scilly Isles, channel islands and northern Brittany coasts as I did throughout my childhood (although in racing yachts with significantly fewer cruising concessions than I am looking at now). We will sail all year round and I intend to keep her on a walk-ashore for the first year whilst everyone gets used to it all.

Current thoughts are Sadler 32, Contessa 32 (yes, yes I know but I've just returned from the Dartmouth Classics Regatta and I still love them), Hunter Channel 31, Elan 333?! I am finding it hard to reconcile my need for practical, spacious accommodation with my preference for long, classic lines and the "row away factor". Are there suggestions of anything a bit smaller, to keep overheads low and handling super-easy?

SaltyC

Visit site
OK, I will open the discussion and put my tin hat one.

Sadler 32, 34 or Starlight 35? all OK if within budget. Contessa, classic drool over lines but wet and cramped with a small baby-but very seakindly.

Channel 31, good reports but no experience.

Elan 333, I will now put my chin strap on my tin hat! Modern design, flat bottomed and slams a lot, quality of accommodation build is mediocre, edging towards lightweight rather than longevity.

Suggestions within budget, 90's British built, Westerly Fulmar, Moody 31s, others you've mentioned or, I understand early 90's Bavarias were well build with a rounded bilge to reduce slamming and good long lasting boats.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Elan 333, I will now put my chin strap on my tin hat! Modern design, flat bottomed and slams a lot,
Do you have personal experience of an Elan 333 doing this "claimed", slamming, or are you just surmising?
I have a fairly flat bottomed craft & I do not notice any undue slamming, unless motoring hard into short sharp chop. Something I can usually avoid. In fact I think much of this is just an ugly rumour, put about by owners of MABS

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Sadler 32 a great boat, but have a look at the Sadler 29 still good accomodation but a more reçent design.
Just what I was going to say. I had one for many years and our best friends had the 32. The 29 was actually nicer to sail and cruised at about the same speed, occasionally faster, but going to windward in more than F4 the 32 was distinctly superior. The 32’s galley was much better but the forecabin on the 29 was taller and more comfortable.

SaltyC

Visit site
Do you have personal experience of an Elan 333 doing this "claimed", slamming, or are you just surmising?
I have a fairly flat bottomed craft & I do not notice any undue slamming, unless motoring hard into short sharp chop. Something I can usually avoid. In fact I think much of this is just an ugly rumour, put about by owners of MABS
I do not have experience of the 333 but have experience of the previous model the 33. Afraid the slamming, loss of fillings, and tweaky behaviour was not for me.
A whole new experience having been introduced to sailing in boats with a seakindly 'softer ' motion.
Next time experienced in a Westerly GK24, BRILLIANT fun, but in the same category as the Elan (with a lot less headroom) good fun round the cans, but a relaxing cruising boat?? No thanks.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
With a one year old baby, someone will need to be with them in the saloon all the time they are awake. Baby in cockpit even with toddler harness is fraught on any trip more than maybe an hour

So the bigger saloon the better, and watch out for baby head damaging corners. Boat must not roll that much either

dunedin

Visit site
I do not have experience of the 333 but have experience of the previous model the 33. Afraid the slamming, loss of fillings, and tweaky behaviour was not for me.
A whole new experience having been introduced to sailing in boats with a seakindly 'softer ' motion.
Next time experienced in a Westerly GK24, BRILLIANT fun, but in the same category as the Elan (with a lot less headroom) good fun round the cans, but a relaxing cruising boat?? No thanks.
Then on that basis your comment about the Elan 333 is simply completely baseless and wrong. The Elan 33 is a completely different boat from the Rob Humphrey’s designed Elan 333. So presumably the comments about built quality also relate to an entirely different boat.
Perhaps wait till you have sailed an Elan 333 before commenting on them - it is a rare gem, and more similar in spirit, practicality and performance to a newer reincarnation of the Fulmar.

dunedin

Visit site
With a one year old baby, someone will need to be with them in the saloon all the time they are awake. Baby in cockpit even with toddler harness is fraught on any trip more than maybe an hour

So the bigger saloon the better, and watch out for baby head damaging corners. Boat must not roll that much either
Tell that to the young French couple we met sailing a small Jeanneau. They left France in April with a 1 month old baby, and we met them in the Outer Hebrides with the baby now 3 months old. Also saw they had later reached Orkney and Shetland before heading off to the Faroes.
PS. I am out of date - MarineTraffic shows they have now reached the Lofoten Islands! They don’t hang about.

SaltyC

Visit site
Then on that basis your comment about the Elan 333 is simply completely baseless and wrong. The Elan 33 is a completely different boat from the Rob Humphrey’s designed Elan 333. So presumably the comments about built quality also relate to an entirely different boat.
Perhaps wait till you have sailed an Elan 333 before commenting on them - it is a rare gem, and more similar in spirit, practicality and performance to a newer reincarnation of the Fulmar.
. My experience of newer generation boats is less rocker, flatter sections and slamming.
Will stay with deeper bodied boats with an easier motion more suited to babies and toddlers.

Admiral Fitzroy

Visit site
OK, I will open the discussion and put my tin hat one.

Sadler 32, 34 or Starlight 35? all OK if within budget. Contessa, classic drool over lines but wet and cramped with a small baby-but very seakindly.

Channel 31, good reports but no experience.

Elan 333, I will now put my chin strap on my tin hat! Modern design, flat bottomed and slams a lot, quality of accommodation build is mediocre, edging towards lightweight rather than longevity.

Suggestions within budget, 90's British built, Westerly Fulmar, Moody 31s, others you've mentioned or, I understand early 90's Bavarias were well build with a rounded bilge to reduce slamming and good long lasting boats.
To be honest, it was the Moody I was referring to as a bit of a tub. Perhaps it’s the dated deck styling, but I just can’t get past it..

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
. My experience of newer generation boats is less rocker, flatter sections and slamming.
Will stay with deeper bodied boats with an easier motion more suited to babies and toddlers.
I didnt say it couldnt be done, but consideration for a comfort loving husband and highly vulnerable young human might influence choice of craft. I have sailed with small person and comfort loving partner and worked hard to make sure all were ok. My then boat was too small

Raising children is not a game, and looking after loving partners is wise

Admiral Fitzroy

Visit site
Tell that to the young French couple we met sailing a small Jeanneau. They left France in April with a 1 month old baby, and we met them in the Outer Hebrides with the baby now 3 months old. Also saw they had later reached Orkney and Shetland before heading off to the Faroes.
PS. I am out of date - MarineTraffic shows they have now reached the Lofoten Islands! They don’t hang about.
To be fair, until they start walking they are very portable and sleep an awful lot. Plus, with the greatest of love and respect, French sailors are a bit mad…

Admiral Fitzroy

Visit site

Thank you - this is really helpful. Saloon size (and ability to cordon off sleeping baby while we sink a bottle of wine) is one of my major factors.