Damage Control

cod

Visit site
If anyone has been involved in damage control I wonder if they would care to relay their experience on this board or send me a message.

Rigging a collision mat.
Using concrete.
Softwood plugs.
Shoring and bracing.
Using plates.
Jury rudder.
Others?

Thanks,

MINESAPINT.

trev

Visit site
I would recommend the Admiralty manuals of Seamanship (Used to be two volumes) and Nichols Seamanship along with the Boatswains Manual. There also used to be a little red book called Munro's Seamanship Primer which no decent 'Orals' candidate would be seen dead without !
A lot of seamanship taught in these books is rather outdated in today's climate of large ships, powerful tugs and rapid communications - but its an interesting exercise and gives the examiners something to do !

BrendanS

Visit site
There's quite a few of us non commercial pleasure boaters who would love to read about this sort of thing. So it would actually be quite nice if people would post their experiences.

cod

Visit site
Thanks for the 2 more constructive replies. I think dyflin misunderstood the request.

However I will look out for the books suggested. The Seamanship book I have is The Theory and Practice of Seamanship by Graham Danton.

The point is you can read theoretical books till the cows come home but there is no substitute for having real life events described by people who experienced them first hand. Except of course experiencing them yourself which I can say fortunately I have not!

Any more replies please.

MINESAPINT.

landaftaf

Visit site
I think you need to be more specific.
are you looking for advice on running repairs offshore/remote from normal assistance, or thinking more on the lines of float, fight move. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Shakey

The People\'s Republic Of South Yorkshire
Visit site
Best thing to do is to get yourself on a damage control course. Then you're not just reading about it, you actually do it.

For example, the RN use mock ups of a section of a ship on four huge hydraulic rams which they then flood. You have to go in with your hammer, plugs, acro props, wooden beams etc and sort it out whilst the whole thing rocks from side to side and then the lights go out.

It's a good laugh too!