Daft Question

wishbone

www.reflect-designs.co.uk
This may be a daft question BUT what dose the team think! Later this year I shall be buying a boat. I’m in a quandary, I like the lines of say a Nicholson 38, the long keel, sea capabilities, I have sailed on a small variety of boats jag 27, various jenneau’s. Now I like the space on the jen 34 we used in the bvi’s but a lightweight. I shall be sailing the North Sea sometime single-handed. I have a few boats to view, price around 30k so it will be an older boat, swmbo dose not like small boats she trained on a moody 45, I am a joiner so I like wood, but will want a grp yacht. Spoilt for choice, yes, have you had the same dilemma ? Views much appreciated.

Wishbone
Money burning hole in my pocket, got to buy one before swmbo decides she needs some new shoes, oh! And a hand bag to match………

<hr width=100% size=1>

LORDNELSON

Visit site
I used to sail a Marieholm 32E - long keel, traditional design and a very nice boat. We cruised her between Ushant and Denmark. She sailed very well but was a pain to manoeuvre in harbours, particularly going astern. If, sailing in the North Sea, you will be in harbour/marina situations a lot I would suggest you test out any long keel boat thoroughly for handling under power before buying; I believe there are a number of fin and skeg boats with good sea-keeping qualtities and better handling under power. Personally I went for a Southerly 115 (37 foot) which has proved good in a blow and with the swing keel enables us to go into many harbours/canals etc which we would be unable to visit in a fixed keel boat. Hope this helps

<hr width=100% size=1>

beneteau_305_553

Visit site
You need a large aft cabin with a double bed but you need low freeboard so she sails well to wind.
You need bilge keels for drying out but a fin keel to sail well to wind
you need a wide beam lightweight boat for manouverability but heavy and narrow for seakeeping
short to keep moooring fees low but long for speed through the water
tiller steering so that its easy when mooring but wheel steering if its heavy.

etc.

boats are always a compromise

<hr width=100% size=1>Richard

gjgm

Visit site
Bear in mind that boating shoes and matching bag will be 5 times the price of non boating accessories. Boat is the cheap part.

<hr width=100% size=1>