D6 Impeller change, Lifespan, recommended change, safeside. ?

Rappey

Visit site
is it in a sailing boat?
It is.
There are many types of impellors, ie rubber, neophrene, Epdm etc. I wonder if some just dont end up with the right material ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240329_120243_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240329_120243_Photos.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

gordmac

Visit site
The service kit comes with an impeller, that would suggest they expect it to be changed annually with the filters.
The impeller is a Jabsco one, presumably they make the pumps forVP.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Interweb searching finds:

• Neoprene offers a wide range of chemical resistant properties and a temperature range of 45-180°F (5-82°C).

• Nitrile impellers are recommended for a wide range of oils, oil and water emulsions, diesel fuel, hydrocarbons, and lubricating oils.
  • Nitrile has a temperature range of 50-180°F (10-82°C).

• EPDM impellers are resistant to weathering, ozone, and many chemicals, and can withstand temperatures up to 185°F (85°C).
None of them are unsuitable for water, so unless you have special needs, the material is unlikely to be crucial.

Most common names are Jabsco and Johnson pumps, with quite a few impellers being interchangeable between them.
They make private label series for certain engine manufacturers.

Jabsco, owned by US based Xylem (was ITT before 2011), seems to be the leading brand in marine applications.
Johnson, originally from Sweden, was acquired by SPX Flow who these days is owned by the US equity firm Lone Star.

The contents of impeller kits are not always the same; some have more parts than others. Incidentally, the included lubricant that protects the impeller during the first time dry run until the water reaches it, usually is based on silicone or glycerine.

For lack of a better almost any lubricant can be used.

kashurst

Visit site
It is.
There are many types of impellors, ie rubber, neophrene, Epdm etc. I wonder if some just dont end up with the right material ?
with a sailing boat your primary means of propulsion is the sails (well mostly)
on a motor boat it's the engines. If you loose an impeller you loose an engine. In a single engined boat, dead in the water, in a twin engine planing boat now reduced to displacement speeds. I wouldn't like to try replacing an impellor at sea on a mobo. On a sailing boat probably doable as you can sail along and wait for the engine etc to cool down. I once left a seacock shut and got about 1/2 mile before various alarms came on. The sea water pump was incredibly hot and not possible to even touch it. If an impeller does fail, getting all the bits out properly is not always easy so people don't and that starts bunging up the cooling system.

So on balance I settled on replace well before failure - but I usually leave them for 3 or 4 years. I also don't take them out over winter. I think that does more harm than good as the extractor tools cut into the rubber