D4 - 225. Water sensor

David_J

Visit site
The water sensor that screws into the bottom of the on engine fuel filter.
One of mine broke somehow internally such that it would not unscrew from the filter canister.
New sensor needed - £102
I can only assume that in the past it has been screwed in too hard.
Has anyone had this sort of failure?

David_J

Visit site

Latestarter1

Visit site
I have been looking at these WIF sensors, Italian manufacture who seem to have tied up most European stuff, however unlike similar US components real tacky. Fleetguard include new WIF sensors in most filters which require them as the plastic becomes brittle with heat.

Most WIF sensors are set to work with a 120K OHM resistance across the engine WIF circuit with about 90K to 130K being the band limit, or the alarm "WIF" starts beeping--- you get an alarm and a fault code.

As ususal there is a but, Volvo will not confirm their operating band width. This unit MAY work fine, at least I can obtain working band width of the Land Rover part and then check out against Volvo unit. If not correct a ten cent resistor in the loom would easily change the resistance.

This is a good call, will check it out and come back to you.

David_J

Visit site
Thanks to Latestarter1 for great information.
I used to work in the big (big) diesel industry so am well aware of spares pricing policy and am also well aware of numerous companies that have made a huge amount of money from selling spares. In this case, unfortunately the guy who was doing the job for me just replaced the sensor with a VP item at £102. In general I would use the genuine VP items if reasonable but it seems the VP price in this case is over five times what it can be bought for. The manufacturer of the lower price component and supply chain must still be making a margin so clearly the VP price is nothing but a rip off. Always good to find possible alternatives!!

David2452

Visit site
I have been looking at these WIF sensors, Italian manufacture who seem to have tied up most European stuff, however unlike similar US components real tacky. Fleetguard include new WIF sensors in most filters which require them as the plastic becomes brittle with heat.

Most WIF sensors are set to work with a 120K OHM resistance across the engine WIF circuit with about 90K to 130K being the band limit, or the alarm "WIF" starts beeping--- you get an alarm and a fault code.

As ususal there is a but, Volvo will not confirm their operating band width. This unit MAY work fine, at least I can obtain working band width of the Land Rover part and then check out against Volvo unit. If not correct a ten cent resistor in the loom would easily change the resistance.

This is a good call, will check it out and come back to you.

I had a rather more basic approach, I plugged it in and put some water in the cap, beep beep, flash flash.

Latestarter1

Visit site
Thanks to Latestarter1 for great information.
I used to work in the big (big) diesel industry so am well aware of spares pricing policy and am also well aware of numerous companies that have made a huge amount of money from selling spares. In this case, unfortunately the guy who was doing the job for me just replaced the sensor with a VP item at £102. In general I would use the genuine VP items if reasonable but it seems the VP price in this case is over five times what it can be bought for. The manufacturer of the lower price component and supply chain must still be making a margin so clearly the VP price is nothing but a rip off. Always good to find possible alternatives!!

I have the sensor in my hand right now and would suggest it is a throw away quality item, personally I belive it should be part of filter assembly and replaced together. As to Volvo parts pricing policy, well covered here.

Sulzer 8RND was my last large engine, does that qualify as big?

David_J

Visit site
I have the sensor in my hand right now and would suggest it is a throw away quality item, personally I belive it should be part of filter assembly and replaced together. As to Volvo parts pricing policy, well covered here.

Sulzer 8RND was my last large engine, does that qualify as big?

When I had a proper job it was all land based power generation. Mirrlees then Wartsila. When Sulzer came into Wartsila I had the pleasure of visiting Guernsey many times where they have RNF and RTA's. I hope you are a member of IDGTE!

Other threads that may be of interest