D4 225 Stall on Needle Sweep

npm108

Visit site
I've had a good look on Google but can't find any similar posts.

2007 D4 225s that have been working perfectly, except randomly hitting this issue.

Key On wait for gauges to power up and fuel pump to prime. Start engine ok..

After engine start and as soon as gauges run through their needle sweep engine hesitates and shuts down. Attempts to restart met with hard cranking (like no fuel). Only way to fix is to turn off the key, wait 1 min and then try again and mysterious issue vanishes.

Has only happened with warm engines 2 hours after use.

Start battery voltage is 12.6V

First time starboard engine was running, started port engine and during needle sweep both shut down!

Second time I was flushing engines on the hard, starboard engine hesitated on sweep but remained running...flushed for 5 mins and switched off.

Went to start port engine and stalled on sweep. No restart until key was off for 1 min.

Fuel is above 1/2 tank, no EVC faults indicated.

No issues once running with gear shifting etc and engines make full revs/power.

Any ideas ...

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
When you say fuel pump to prime , I’m not aware the pump is electric unless it’s an after market fit.
sounds like you have either a restriction in fuel line or an air leak .
How long does it crank before it fires up ?
Next time pump the fuel primer about 4 times before you attempt to start it , see if that makes a difference.

npm108

Visit site
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. When I turn the ignition on I hear a whirring sound and always assumed it was a fuel pump to be honest.

Starts 2 seconds after cranking, hesitation/engine stall only happens when needles sweep. If it doesn't hesitate/stall it will be a normal start up. Only two times it happened engines have been warm but only sitting for 2 hours or so. Other times they would be cold before a restart.

I just found it super odd the needle sweep induces the stall/shut off. I will check for air leaks etc.

julians

Visit site
I've got a 2007 d4 260 engine and I don't recognise this needle sweep you refer to.

I start my engine and the rev counter and speedo reflect the revs and speeds, they don't do any kind of sweep like you might see on a stack automotive dashboard or in some audis.

Could it just be a sign of a failing battery? Ie after start your battery does not have enough juice to supply the electronics including engine ecu, so the engine dies?

npm108

Visit site
I've got a 2007 d4 260 engine and I don't recognise this needle sweep you refer to.

I start my engine and the rev counter and speedo reflect the revs and speeds, they don't do any kind of sweep like you might see on a stack automotive dashboard or in some audis.

Could it just be a sign of a failing battery? Ie after start your battery does not have enough juice to supply the electronics including engine ecu, so the engine dies?

Battery came to mind although it's only 2 seasons old and always fully charged as boat stays on Pontoon so plugged in. Nonetheless I will get the battery checked/load tested.

I call it a needle sweep from the automotive world yes but basically it's a gauge self test. I thought it was normal on EVC engines. Will take a vid.

npm108

Visit site
I had ended up changing the start battery and cleaning all negative terminals along the way. It didn't happen again with a new battery, but I do have the hot restart issue which thanks to this site points at the return elbow revised part 21822234 now having a check valve in it.