Cutlass bearing help

emmalina

www.lantamarineservices.com
I once found resin bearings in Malaysia some 10 years ago. I bought a long piece and have been chopping and using every haul out @2 years This year I find I have no more but my stern tube seems to be a non standard size. Anybody know where I could get a 2.5" by 1.75" shaft and long 7" bearing . It seems all the 1.75" shafts all have 2 5/8 housings. I purchased a resin bearing advertised at 2.5 x 1.75 but the 1.75" is actually 45mm so has more play than the one I just removed.

Tranona

Visit site
One possibility is to use a 2 5/8 brass shell cutless and have the outer shell machined down to fit your tube. The bearings come with 2 3/8 shell as well so there is ample wall to do this. I have juts done similar with a 30mm that comes with either 40 or50mm shell and my housing was 43mm.

Alternatively have a composite bearing made of Maritex. h4marine.com/Maritex01.htm This is the UK distributor, but the material comes from Australia.

You might also want to look at your set up as changing bearings every 2 years suggests something is seriously wrong - either the material you nave been using is not suitable or your shaft is either out of lone or not supported properly.

Poignard

Visit site
Have they decided to continue? I heard they had stopped making them and someone else was taking that part of the business over.
I didn't know that. It's more than 20 years since I fitted one of their bearings in my boat and I made a note of the details in case I ever needed to buy another.