Custom Made Mattresses

matthewriches

www.matthewriches.co.uk
Hi all, I had a new mattress for the master cabin a little while ago but was of low quality memory foam and whilst being used near enough every night certainly for the last 2 years, it has developed a nasty crater and is causing me no end of back trouble so time for another new one but of better quality this time! The guest cabin ones have lasted ok as only used a few times a month.

I have used https://www.marinebedding.co.uk for mattress dry mesh which worked well. Has anybody got firsthand experience on their actual mattresses? Or indeed, other company recommendations for a custom made shaped mattress? Hoping to get something sorted ASAP.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Buy a good quality pocket spring mattress and modify it yourself. Not a hard job, mine arrives tomorrow, by coincidence.

mersey

Visit site
Buy a good quality pocket spring mattress and modify it yourself. Not a hard job, mine arrives tomorrow, by coincidence.

So what's the modification process, chop off the excess and sew in new side pieces?

I've never taken one apart, do you have any youtube or pictures of the process?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
So what's the modification process, chop off the excess and sew in new side pieces?

I've never taken one apart, do you have any youtube or pictures of the process?

Un-pick the side panel, remove springs, cut off the pockets where the springs used to be, trim the top and bottom covers and re-stitch the side panel.

Simple enough, especially in my case, i only need to snip a bit off of one corner. Probably take me an hour or so on Saturday morning.

mersey

Visit site
Okay cool, I've just 'got it', I was thinking of this:

Mattress-portland.jpg

But I see pocket sprung is this, and far more easily modifiable..

Best-Pocket-Sprung-Mattress.jpg

Hmmm, might do this, it's for a v-berth..

mersey

Visit site
How about a 6/8 inch memory foam mattress. Easily cut to the v berth shape?

Already got that, and have replaced once already, could easily just get it replaced again, but the lack of durability is the issue here, hence why the sprung mattress peaked my interest.

The v-berth foam set, that I've replaced already, is starting to sag in the middle..

richardabeattie

Visit site
This will sound silly but I went to a mattress place on the Chichester - Emsworth road (forgotten its name) and they made me a proper pocket spring rectangular mattress which was 5 ft by 2ft. They looked puzzled because I am a six footer. But that size is not too big to handle and slides straight into the quarter berth. I make up the extra 12" at the foot end using sail bags or whatever comes to hand. Works fine and now I sleep. The only error I made was not specifying lifting handles on the sides.

smb

Visit site
+1 on the memory foam problem. One season (say 90 nights) and my backside was on the boards.
Reduced the back and hip ache a bit by sourcing a sheet of 1'' cheapish foam and putting that beneath the all singing/dancing 6'' marine special.
Pocket spring probably wont work for me due to access, so next time might just get bunk foam from eg anyfoam.co.uk, use the cover from the marine version and at 1/3rd the price regard it as a regular replacement item.

Does make me wonder if the marine environment is detrimental to memory foam, or will all these domestic 'mattress in a box' products be just as rubbish.

Steve