Curved perspex/glass windscreens

G

I may need to replace the curved and flat screens on a Sunseeker. Anyone have any advice, thoughts, experience, suggestions etc. I am already aware of Trend Marine Products and (of course) Sunseeker themeselves. Thanks in anticipation.

John_Hampton

Visit site
Some years ago I worked for a company which used 'bent' perspex to isolate high voltage electrical bus bars. The area to be bent was held over an electrical infra red heating element then moved away after some seconds and bent. I would try an electrical hot air gun held by a colleague so that the heat source can be varied by moving it back and forth as you apply pressue to make the bent.

Good luck!

DavidGrieves

www.wsandba.co.uk
A couple of years ago I made object for a local "am dram"society out of prespex. It was quite an intricate shape, I made a mould for the shape I wanted out of polystyrene (glued several 2" layers together, cut with saws and sanded by hand with sand paper). I tried the hot water, the hair drier even a blow lamp moved quickly over the sheet, but found the best method was placing it in an ordinary domestic oven for a short time at a low heat. Once it was softened I placed it onto the mould and gently pressing it into shape. I can't remember the temp or the time but it wasn't very hot or very long. The size of your screen might be a limiting factor. And one last bit of advice "do it when the wife's out"

G

I would not use Perspex, the best you can get is " Lexan sheet" made by General Electric Plastics. Very strong very pliable and yes expensive but the best on the market. Sorry not sure of a supplier.