Crusing the med and uk what boat ??

ashtead

Visit site
There always seem to be a number of ex charter boats for sale in Med but maybe a beds on board trip to one of the usual locations where Med based owners are located might be both insightful and help with research. Clearly you might also find a few ex Med cruisers who have returned to uk to top up accounts will talk you through good and bad features . I would have thought choice might be influenced by plans though in Med in terms of movement or not. Once you have drawn up a list of items you consider important this might drive your selection e.g. Is a watermaker and genset required or are you happy to use solar panels on gantry and solar showers etc. As said lots on You Tube re maintenance of stuff on board by cruisers which might also give ideas. Personally might be attracted to a lifting keel Southerly ( but otherlifters exist ) but rather out of budget maybe.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I starting to wonder if there a nice little earner to be made by offering a bed on our boat for a week to see how us full time liveaboard really live and survive in the Med . :)

ashtead

Visit site
I starting to wonder if there a nice little earner to be made by offering a bed on our boat for a week to see how us full time liveaboard really live and survive in the Med . :)

I'm told someone does this on the Thames and makes a nice earner but seems attract a degree of negative publicity from those on the Thames forum and the river authorities from his business venture .

RupertW

Visit site
I'm told someone does this on the Thames and makes a nice earner but seems attract a degree of negative publicity from those on the Thames forum and the river authorities from his business venture .

But the Greeks and Croatians are much more relaxed and a bit of private chartering would just make the officials chuckle in approval at Vic's business prowess

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
But the Greeks ......... are much more relaxed and a bit of private chartering would just make the officials chuckle in approval at Vic's business prowess

I don't think so. The Greeks are currently engaged in a big crackdown on illegal chartering, with massive fines being handed out in the Ionian. Several threads about this on various forums.

dslittle

Visit site
I don't think so. The Greeks are currently engaged in a big crackdown on illegal chartering, with massive fines being handed out in the Ionian. Several threads about this on various forums.

We are seeing more and more boats offered out on AirBnB. I wonder how that would be viewed in comparison to a week’s charter?

Paddy Fields

Visit site
From my own experience, I used to have a 40 foot Victory 40 (also known as Trintella lV) It had a fully enclosed cockpit. That was wonderful in northern latitudes, but was just too hot for the Med.

I sold it and bought a Westerly Oceanlord - spent money on Sunshades, ripping the fridge out and starting again (happiness is a cold beer in the med - not a noisy engine charging to keep it cold) Solar Panels - 80 meters of chain and a sensible anchor and anchor winch. Uprating the alternator, batteries, charging systems and monitoring systems, Holding tank etc etc......

I find the centre cockpit work on that size, giving a good, well aired aft cabin.

Your budget must include all the improvements that you must have for extended cruising in the med. say £70K for the boat and 30 for improvements - yes it could well cost that.

And it went down the canals of France easily.

How do you think something like one of those modern moody deck saloons (e.g. moody 45 DS) would do in the med? Hard to see how it would not turn into an oven, even with tinted windows.

RupertW

Visit site
How do you think something like one of those modern moody deck saloons (e.g. moody 45 DS) would do in the med? Hard to see how it would not turn into an oven, even with tinted windows.

Do they have opening front windows? With enough through breeze and tinted window it might just be almost as good as an open cockpit and Bimini?

RupertW

Visit site
With a genset and AC I suspect as plenty of space to fit out

And I guess that's the big divide between those who would rather sweat sometimes as long as they are living an outdoor life with breeze through all the hatches, and those who will want to live in cool recycled air with generators quiet enough so they only disturb all the boats in the anchorage with open hatches.