Crusing Shutes

G

I purchased a Moody 28 last year that came with a cruising shute. Having never flew one of these before can anyone describe in simple terms how I run up the sail and what sheets/controls are required.

G

Fasten the tack of the sail out side forestay, I use the bow roller to lead the strop to a bow cleat.Some folks take it back to the cockpit.Usually I only use one sheet which is led on the lee side through a snatch block on the quarter then forward to a winch. The halyard should be reeved through a swivel block on the crane forward of the mast.Do not use the genoa halyard, that sheave will not take the loads that occur when the chute swings about. With wind on the quarter, hoist the sail in the lee of the main,with the sheet quite slack. To drop the sail, go off downwind let the sheet fly and the sail will stream out forward.A snuffer assists raising and lowering .The pole length if used needs to be 1.25 to 1.5J. Have fun!

G

P.S. You can also goosewing downwind, ease the halyard and the tack.

G

Getting the sail down again is more daunting than getting it up! An alternative method of lowering is to let the tack fly and pull the sail in with the lazy sheet underneath the mainsail, spinnaker style. As Peasea says, some people swear by a snuffer.

The text-book method of gybing is to let the sail fly right forward and then pull in from the other side like a windsurf sail, but I've found this often results in a mighty tangle. I prefer to 'post' the clew through the gap between the luff (which should not be too taut by the way) and the forestay. Once the clew is handed through, the rest of the sail will follow readily enough.

Downwind, you will normally goosewing, with the chute poled out. When broad reaching, it may help to pole the cruising chute on the leeward side, if it will not settle down. It is of course always poled from the clew, not from the tack as is a spinnaker. A pole should not be necessary for reaching.

G

I seem to recall a PBO article a couple of years ago where poling the tack out to the winward side (opp. to main) was advocated for downwind. Did anyone try it?

G

I thought that was what you were meant to do with it same as for a kite.....

G

Further to Ickle's comments.... I goose wing with the chute poled out at the clew. Is this easier or less handy than Ickle's method? Comments please.

G

Re: Crusing Shutes, gybing.

I use a snuffer on my Centaur, brilliant. I find it easier to use 1 sheet, to gybe snuff the chute, uncleat the sheet & take it around to the opposite cleat (around the outside of all stays etc)& then let the chute fly. Quicker than it sounds and avoids taangles!

G

Re: Crusing Shutes, gybing.

Many thanks for your helpful suggestion. Obviously I need to purchase further equipment hoever your suggestions add to my understanding of flying this type of sail.