Cruising the Thames.

nedmin

Visit site
can anyone recommend a good book for cruising the Thames with places to stop, Marina,s etc..I wish to do both the tidal and non tidal next year.How far upstream could I hope to get with 8ft 6inch headroom and 4ft draught and 12ft 6inch beam,many thanks

SoulFireMage

richardgriffiths.azurewebsites.net
Can't think of the book (Nicholson's might do one). However we got up as far as Osney Bridge in Oxford. You might be about a foot too tall to get under it. There is one place not far from Abingdon that may give you a little scrape of the bum at 4ft draft when the levels are a little low however.

I can't quite remember the name of the stretch LOL. You head towards an awkward brick arch bridge (beautiful if you like bridges but a pain to get through for our previous 35foot broom). 200 yards leading up to the bridge (downstream) there are moorings on the right, sandstone on the bottom. Thats the spot :).

Gavi

Visit site
That's the one I've been using to learn my way - very good once you get your head around the odd map layout.

Nautorius

Visit site
Hi There,

You will not need any books. Just ask the Lock keepers at each lock for advice. I was new to the thames this year and navigated from Essex all the way to Abingdon. Peoples experiences are far better than any book. Oh, I doubt you will need any marinas on the non tidal, lots of places to moor up.

Cheers

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif