Cruising companion Belgium and The Netherlands.

Nessy

Visit site
Offshore the Reeds Nautical Almanac helps in any case.

There are some good manuals about the Netherlands, inshore and offshore, but in German language.

If ok, I can send you some information about.

Stefan

Nessy

Visit site
Niederlande - Törnführer & Hafenhandbücher

FYI

Cordilally ! Stefan

Note:

In the Netherlands you must have the following two books aboard.

Part 2 must be the current edition.

It is written in Netherland language but one can understand the most. Opening times of bridges and locks, many information about rivers, canals and harbours and so on.

IMG_6504.jpeg

IMG_6503.jpeg

stu9000

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I have ordered the Imray pilot and the Belgium waterways guide.
That will be enough for this season I think.
Next year I hope to carve out enough time to do the Zeeland thing but I clearly have a lot of reading to do.

Alicatt

Visit site
Niederlande - Törnführer & Hafenhandbücher

FYI

Cordilally ! Stefan

Note:

In the Netherlands you must have the following two books aboard.

Part 2 must be the current edition.

It is written in Netherland language but one can understand the most. Opening times of bridges and locks, many information about rivers, canals and harbours and so on.

View attachment 177868

View attachment 177869
Just part 1 is required, part two is more of a guide to locations along the inland waterways.
However as long as you have the police regulations on board whether in electronic form or in hard copy it does not mater.
The app Waterkarten has the regulations in it in electronic format plus it does a good job at routing between points in The Netherlands, Belgium, Southern Germany, France, and the UK. Most of our yachting club use Waterkarten and was recommended by them as being better than Navionics for use here.

Alicatt

Visit site
The official sites for navigating on the inland waterways of Belgium and in the greater EU are for Belgium VisuRis VisuRIS - Portal they have lots of info available in English on how the waterways work and also an online routing gazetteer with the current state of locks, bridges and traffic.
EuRis is the European version with info of the majority of the waterways in Europe https://www.eurisportal.eu/

stu9000

Visit site
Looks like I need some kind of competency certification to do the canals. ICC. I keep musing about getting the Day Skipper or coastal YM, but always end up just going sailing. It seems though that legislation is creeping into sailing more and more.

Alicatt

Visit site
Looks like I need some kind of competency certification to do the canals. ICC. I keep musing about getting the Day Skipper or coastal YM, but always end up just going sailing. It seems though that legislation is creeping into sailing more and more.
I was doing the CEVNI for the inland waterways ICC at the same time I was doing the powerboat 2 course, just it took a little longer to digest all the signs and regulations, I signed up for the two courses at the same time with Scot Sail, they gave me the day skipper course notes and navigation exercises to go through before we went out to do the practical, most of it I had done already for my self back in the 1980s/1990s for use on my last boat around the Pentland Firth and North Sea.
I made up a set of flash cards with the signs balls and lights on them and the process of making that helped me remember what they were.

Now the learning is a bit more intense, it is our own boat, it is not as easy to steer as my last one, but does keep a fairly straight course when under way, next task is locking through the lock system, we are going with a seasoned skipper that will show us the ropes so to speak. Never stop learning :)