Cruising chute bought from a formite!

cliffdale

Visit site
I bought this not long ago. First opportunity to try today. Fits well but it needs a little tweeking where the tack attaches.

P1100027_zpsa49d7d27.jpg

P1100030_zps84937f52.jpg

Almost a perfect fit!

Thanks to all involved with the transport of the sail to Cornwall!

Cliff:encouragement:

oldbilbo

Visit site
And just look at that t-t-t-topping lift! Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Oh, and while one is in a pernickety mode ( morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet ), what in gawdzname is a 'formite'? Some kind of biting insect....?

Hrumph, etc!

D

Deleted member 36384

Nice sail cliff, its great when a bargain (I assume) works out well. Toping lift is fine by the way oldgrumpo!

cliffdale

Visit site
I take your point about the sheeting position. Partly, I think the angle of the camera makes the sheet look steep. It was first fit and try so I do need to adjust the position

There is room to move the turning block further aft. Any comments how far back the turning block should be?

P1100034_zpsf2f5335d.jpg

Cliff

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I take your point about the sheeting position. Partly, I think the angle of the camera makes the sheet look steep. It was first fit and try so I do need to adjust the position

Surely it's the twist in the sail that matters, not the steepness of the sheet. Looks OK to me, but difficult to judge without perspective and being able to see tell-tales, windex etc...

Mike.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
There is room to move the turning block further aft. Any comments how far back the turning block should be?
With most foresails the aim is for the projected line of the sheet to bisect the angle between leech and foot. For a cruising chute and for a spinnaker this usually means that the turning block needs to be almost as far aft as you can get it.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Easiest method is to (in a very light wind) manually move the sheet fore and aft (at deck level) until the load is spread between the foot and the leech. It's usually blindingly obvious when you hit the sweet spot. Then you know where to mount your block or track.

oldbilbo

Visit site
Being pernickety after a few bevvies, I think you have omitted to comment on the tension in the reefing pennants.

Hmmm. 'm more than a little certain that mygoodself has not had a single 'bevvy' at that time of the a.m. at all. at all, this century..... never mind 'a few'! :rolleyes:

Oh, ooops, sorry..... you were referring to yourself...?

As for the reefing pennants, you may very well be right in your inference, but I was - as you say - just being a little bit 'pernickety'. Just ignore me - most others do.....