Cruisers and narrowboats

byron

RIP
Visit site
I like the bit about 26% more Visitors licences being issued. This is Spin in its real sense. I would suggest to you all that the 26% is people they lost with the nonsense Safety Certificate who are just returning for a visit without the need for complying with some of the idiocies contained in the requirements for a full licence.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
What I find most disturbing about the Press Release is that the EA seem proud of their achievement in attracting so many narrowboats and perhaps even an inference that it is a specific agenda that they are pursuing.

Very few of the NB's are full licence payers and will, in general visit the Thames for a period before moving on to explore other parts of the canal network. They will therefore only pay a visitors licence fee or the additional fee for a gold licence. Either way they will not pay anything like the full licence fee suffered by the resident Thames boater, nor is it likely that they will become full licence payers as a result of a first season visit.

I would like to see this payment imbalance fully and accurately investigated. Why should a visiting boat be able to make exactly the same use of the Thames as I do for signicantly less than I am required to pay??????

Come on guys....its time we got militant over this.

Oen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why should a visiting boat be able to make exactly the same use of the Thames as I do for signicantly less than I am allowed to pay??????

Come on guys....its time we got militant over this.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't make exactly the same use. They use more - more space on bankside moorings and more space in locks.

I agree about the militancy. The EA is a disgrace. That's the main reason why I no longer go out on the Thames, even though I have free use of my old mobo there.

Although of course with the winter lock closure programme, there's nowhere to go for months on end at the moment.

Thamesbank

www.thamesbank.org.uk
Interesting EA PR (short rant)

But the fact is that more people are living on boats as house prices live in the stratosphere.
I'm happy that we are seeing an increase in boat use, but concrened that the EA have no one looking after the houseboat owners (incl. NB's and others) who need facilities and representation.

The RBOA does fight, but against the EA's blindness to those living on boats and the major developers who want to know nothing about the Thames - apart from the views, we are all in the same sinking boat.