Cross channel ferry v tunnel

Nick2

Visit site
Taking family to France in December by car . The sailor in me thinks should go by sea but thinks tunnel may be better option with kids at this time of year. Drunken booze cruisers (not forum members of course) and big waves worry Joanne......
Any thoughts ?

Nick

My boat may be here by the weekend................

My boat may be here in time for winter

aztec

Visit site
easy choice for me. take the chunnel every time, good roads when you get to france, shame we have to get off this side on the return trip! roads this side may have improved since last year though.

good luck.

oldgit

Visit site
Depends how long youse a going for.couple of hours,Day, week,years,for ever.?
Calais or bologne?
30 odd quid gets you and 4 girlfriends to to other side and back for a day.

And here is the weekend weather..

claymore

Visit site
We always use the ferry. having driven for around 5 hours to get there, we are ready for a break and a chance to grab a brew, a stretch and some fresh air.
The ferries are really good modern now and don't stink of Diesel and Sick like they did 20 years ago - they are also bigger which means that they don't seem to bounce around as much as they used to.
Anyway - we are sailors, not moles!

regards
Claymore

hlb

RIP
Visit site
How you get both pictures on at once.

1asi043.gif
<font color=blue>Haydn

coliholic

Visit site
Have used the Hoverspeed high speed Cat many times this year. It belts across at 40 odd knots and is a real blast even if the sea's a bit bumpy. And you can stand at the front and see into where the driver sits and all the radar stuff too. Not had the nerve to ask if I could go in the bridge, though been tempted once or twice.

Did it in a F7 a couple of weeks ago and though a bit rolly still hammered across. He even cut up a raggie, passed him with about 50 feet to spare. Could see the course deviation from the wake, though not sure if he'd swerved to avoid him or scare him. Great fun and all for just £31 for a day return, car plus up to 5 pax. Half hour check in at Dover and Calais, one hour for the trip and straight on to motorways both ends.

Better than the boring tunnel

Oh and love the pic. That B1's a very very nice man isn't he??

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by coliholic on 11/11/2002 20:28 (server time).</FONT></P>

EME

www.lumishore.com
No brainer..

Go by the Hole..except for kids

Hate being on big boats /ships....control freak..

The Cat is good replacement for Hoverbird though ...goes like Bat out of H*** , kids will love it..

<font color=black>I am WHAT I say I am

Moose

Visit site
Coliholic,
You may think that you will be able to get on the bridge of one of the fast cat thingy's
Well......
Don't even bother asking because No1 Brat and I did and we were promptly told that if we were allowed onto the bridge, our terrorist side may emerge and we might be tempted to hijack the ferry and bash into a big rock somewhere. Oh Well!!

Moose

I've got a boat at last!!!
WHOOPEE!!!!!!!!!!

BUT WHAT SHOULD I CALL IT?

airbubble

Visit site
Always use the ferry, either P&O or the CAT. Don't use SeaFrance, their always running late.
You get straight onto the same motorways the tunnel uses, with P&O no need to be there at the exact reservation time, they get you on the first available one anyway, so no stress will we catch it. Apart from the odd hooligan when a big Fmatch is due, no drunks or other harrassment. Just luxurious cruising. They all have stabilizers, and do use em, no need for the sickbag.
I guess it does make a difference that I have driven three hrs to get tghere and normally have to drive a couple more on your island, so can use the break.
I was in Calais the last famous Sunday, when all ferries were held in port; I thought the train would get me there, NO WAY. F-French. After letting me wait 1,5 hrs for the tolls they tell me they will not take non-reservations till midnight due to problems and big demand. That's it 4 me; never the tunnel again.

tcm

Visit site
ooh, you can't go on the ferry, that's for all the poor people from northampton or even further north, with caravans, too many children and slow cars, some which are even painted in non-metallic colours and don't have alloy wheels.

The only way to go is club class on the train, cos when you go there'll be a storm so all the ferries will stop and a zillion people off the ferries will want to go on the train too.

So-called club class is of course nothing of the sort, but you do get free coca cola and nasty sandwiche and a newspaper and a special little coin to operate the barrier and sneak nehind the wall to the front of the queue. This costs an extra 25-50 quid. I think the coin is exactly the same as some car washes, which would be loads cheaper. When it's busy, there can be quite lot of people who are in the blimmin club class lane, but depsite my requests there is no super-club class lane to bounce to the front of the club-class queue.

Before christmas it will be totally and utterly bombed out, and there lots of balkan people tranna run along the tunnel, so get a v early train, or a v late one.

Oh, and if you have a boat in france, you can buy block of train tickets cheap, its the "property -owners" scheme provide that you can show some evidence of property ownership and not being a fleecable business type, and apparently a medium term lease on a small patch of weater is fine, so its 60 quid each way for five or more return tickets.

duncan

Visit site
tunnel - you get to it first(unless you live by Dover), better roads out at the other end (although they have improved it significantly for the ferry) more crossings and no hassle on the journey. You have time to get out at the first Aire you come to for fresh air!
However, more expensive............

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
Re: Out Harwich - Hoek back Calais - Dover?

Sorry to hi-jack the post slightly, but does anyone know a travel agency that buys block ferry tickets and so who could arrange an outbound with car to one destination and back from another without it costing le earth?

John

airbubble

Visit site

No, to my anger STENA does not want to do a deal there. You can buy two one-ways at every travel agent but it costs you a fortune. I would love to see that poss also as i use it a lot and it lets me drive from Gravesend all the way up to Harwich just so i get a reasonable ferry price.
keep me posted if you do find a better way, but i haven't found it and you can bet i tried being a tight dutchy.

andyball

Visit site
Norfolkline is good (imo). Used 'em in september dover-dunkerque. Mainly trucks, but comfy enough lounge for 2 hr crossing .Recent quote was £110 for car+2 people open return. In september they were £100 cheaper than p&o. Ferries not as flash, but no booze-cruisers/coach parties.

Actually.... not an open return,but you can cancel/re-book the home trip w/o penalty.

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com

I'm going to the Marine Equipment Trade Show in Amsterdam and I'd like to look at a couple of boats up on the East Coast before leaving and then come back via Calais for the Christmas booze. As it is I shall do Calais both ways, but it's a disappointment.

John