Cromarty 36 or Nauticat 36?

pvb

Visit site
I want to buy one of the above. Does anyone know which is better?

Welcome to the forums!

You'll probably find that you can buy a rather more recent Cromarty for the same price as an older Nauticat - this may be an indication of how the used market values the inherent quality of the boats. I'd find the Cromarty's rather quirky cockpit arrangement quite frustrating, I think, the Nauticat looks as if it has a much more user-friendly cockpit. Be very wary of teak decks; they cost a fortune to replace.

NormanS

Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

You'll probably find that you can buy a rather more recent Cromarty for the same price as an older Nauticat - this may be an indication of how the used market values the inherent quality of the boats. I'd find the Cromarty's rather quirky cockpit arrangement quite frustrating, I think, the Nauticat looks as if it has a much more user-friendly cockpit. Be very wary of teak decks; they cost a fortune to replace.

You are quite correct, the Cromarty's cockpit (well, they don't really have a cockpit) is decidedly quirky. But then the Nauticat doesn't really have a cockpit either, and quite how you get out the side doors to get to the raised outside steering position, when the boat is sailing heeled over, I don't know. Every boat is a compromise. :D

NormanS

Visit site
I don't think these boats do a lot of sailing, do they?:rolleyes:

Certainly not 'heeled over'. But on a warm day with a light following wind and the engine ticking over, perhaps?

Are you guys speaking from experience, or merely ingrained prejudice? :rolleyes:
Try rounding Gallen Head in a F6-7, and get some real sailing.:D
By the way, what's happened to the OP? He's never come back.

pvb

Visit site
Are you guys speaking from experience, or merely ingrained prejudice? :rolleyes:
Try rounding Gallen Head in a F6-7, and get some real sailing.:D
By the way, what's happened to the OP? He's never come back.

Oh, purely prejudice!:rolleyes:

The OP may not have been that serious.

Quandary

Visit site
Prejudice for me too; I once had a collision with a Nauticat, I was overtaking about 4 or 5 boat lengths to leeward with another yacht parallel and a bit below me when the skipper put his helm over and I tee-boned him. He said he never saw either of us from his inside steering position and had decided to return to the harbour. He did not hear me prior to the crunch either though I was quite vocal. One of his kids must have heard me because she thought I had said 'bad words'.