Croatia winds?

Finbar

Visit site
Didn’t happen to be Sunday 8th September 2019 did it?!:p
Yes, that was the day. We sailed an Amel 45 for a week, Wednesday to Wednesday, and that was the only bad weather. Molat town quay was wide open to the west. The next night in Muline they would not allow boats on the quay as they had damage.
I'll be back for a couple of weeks this September and will be watching out for the Nevera!

Bellacruiser

Visit site
Yes, that was the day. We sailed an Amel 45 for a week, Wednesday to Wednesday, and that was the only bad weather. Molat town quay was wide open to the west. The next night in Muline they would not allow boats on the quay as they had damage.
I'll be back for a couple of weeks this September and will be watching out for the Nevera!

Same day for us then! We were on the balls in Brgulje (see my post re our near bimini loss above). Whilst the swinging was alarming at least we knew there was nothing to hit unless we came loose and thankfully we always use two lines. It was an experience... We usually sail in Dalmatia and I read the Nevera is worse/more common up North. Will try not to get caught out again though!

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
This afternoon's bulletin.

Warning
GUSTS OF NE and N WINDS FURTHER STRENGTHENING TO 40-100 KNOTS. SEA LOCALLY 5-6, IN THE OPEN OF THE SOUTH AND CENTRAL ADRIATIC POSSIBLY UP TO 7. STILL A CHANCE OF LIGHT ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS, PARTICULARLY IN THE SOUTH ADRIATIC AND IN THE OPEN SEA.

Bellacruiser

Visit site
There's a video on social meeja of 100 mph winds in Maraska area pushing large monohulls over by 25 degrees on their marina moorings.

Do you have a link? Sounds pretty much like what I could see on the web cam for Baška but interested to see. (Our boat is looked after there and the guys were on site, but still felt a bit helpless watching!)

Edit - found one. Na Hrvaškem česa takšnega še niso videli (VIDEO) see part way down, there is a video of Baska... you see two monohulls and a cat facing - these are owned by the guy that manages our boat. Our boat is on the other side of the finger, third boat from left; tucked between two bigger monohulls. Was awful, but all seems to be fine ? - not heard from the yet (suspect they were busy enough and now tired!) but think the guys might have stayed on the cat all night to keep an eye on things. Looks bad but the bura isn't new to them

Last edited:

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
There has been plenty of detail of the Adriatic bora and it is indeed a formidable wind to be careful of when cruising Croatia ... I have had lots of experiences of them during my 30 plus years of cruising there from my berth in NE Italy.

But my first strong wind there was in 1980 with a chartered Jeanneau Gin Fizz, a 37' production boat that a small group of landlubber colleagues had persuaded me to skipper while they paid all the costs. We left Italy and had a fine, easy sail down to Mali Losinj then back up Istria without incident, until . . . .

We were on our final leg back to the marina to end the week when a line squall out of the south hit us and then intensified into a full sirocco gale. I had rounded up and we had lowered all sail then were able to continue our course at 4 knots under bare poles.

Two years later, Des Sleightholme, the then editor of Yachting Monthly, had an identical weather phenomenon but didn't fare so well. If I hadn't known the year I would have thought we had been in the same waters at the same time. There is an account of his experience reproduced here - a look back in a time very different from today's Croatia.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
There has been plenty of detail of the Adriatic bora and it is indeed a formidable wind to be careful of when cruising Croatia ... I have had lots of experiences of them during my 30 plus years of cruising there from my berth in NE Italy.

But my first strong wind there was in 1980 with a chartered Jeanneau Gin Fizz, a 37' production boat that a small group of landlubber colleagues had persuaded me to skipper while they paid all the costs. We left Italy and had a fine, easy sail down to Mali Losinj then back up Istria without incident, until . . . .

We were on our final leg back to the marina to end the week when a line squall out of the south hit us and then intensified into a full sirocco gale. I had rounded up and we had lowered all sail then were able to continue our course at 4 knots under bare poles.

Two years later, Des Sleightholme, the then editor of Yachting Monthly, had an identical weather phenomenon but didn't fare so well. If I hadn't known the year I would have thought we had been in the same waters at the same time. There is an account of his experience reproduced here - a look back in a time very different from today's Croatia.

It's strange but Des says several times about the problems of sailing in late September, and yet we usually have our final cruise in late September and have a lovely time with warm weather, warm sea and reduced crowds.

Richard

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
It's strange but Des says several times about the problems of sailing in late September, and yet we usually have our final cruise in late September and have a lovely time with warm weather, warm sea and reduced crowds.

Richard
As ever there is perceived wisdom and what you actually experience. We had the major part of two seasons in the Adriatic. Weather-wise, they were quite different. In the first year, we had several boras. One kept us a week on Pag where the boat next to us was a first charter with a young lady skipper. She had just got her qualifications and was using her new skills to take friends On a week long cruise. She spent the whole week there with us trying to boost her morale. The second year was virtually bora free.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com

Richard

We first went to Yugoslavia on flotilla with YCA in late August 1983. I can't say I remember details, but perhaps it was not so dire for facilities as for Des's report (which I'm sure I had not read at the time) because we were not so late in the season and had the "pulling power" of the flotilla behind us...

Mike.

Metabarca

Visit site

Richard
The climate is not the same, and it's hard to say now when you might expect days of bora, or not: it could be any time.
As for the Des article, yes, surliness and Yugoslavia go hand in hand, but Slovenia is now very, very different in the way it treats visitors, and Croatia is catching up.

RupertW

Visit site
The climate is not the same, and it's hard to say now when you might expect days of bora, or not: it could be any time.
As for the Des article, yes, surliness and Yugoslavia go hand in hand, but Slovenia is now very, very different in the way it treats visitors, and Croatia is catching up.
Surliness is entirely the wrong word unless you like the smiles and nothing else that you get in Greece. Croatians don’t smile easily unless you give them something to smile about but I’ve never met more reliable and helpful people once they know you won’t take the piss. I still remember the moment two years after we’d stayed in one marina that a berthing guy gave me the tiniest nod after we’d moored.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Surliness is entirely the wrong word unless you like the smiles and nothing else that you get in Greece.

I read, decades ago, that the Greeks smile and promise everything but don't deliver. And that "manana" is too urgent for them. Goes with their preference for eating "hot" food tepid, so that in restaurants you have to ask if you would prefer not to wait until it has cooled... (All calumnies, of course!)

Mike