Crisis, help urgently needed.

maby

Visit site
The hope is that most of the "finish her off" leaks were above the waterline. She is still taking water but only to a small degree. The plan now is to allow her (or, more likely, cause her) to sink again under control and mark the leaks as they become apparent. Then they can be fixed at "leisure".

There was damage to the transom in that the bollards were ripped off. That may have caused damage below the water line.

We will see.

Once again, my utmost gratitude to all on the forum who helped.

Not sure that any of us could claim to have helped - we just stood around kibitzing while you guys fixed it - well done!

While she's off the bottom, get some lifting strops round her!

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I'm very pleased for you. I have absolutely no expertise in this area but it seems that brute force (of pumps) was the way to go and a lot less risky than some of the other solutions offered.

Bav34

Visit site
Brilliant news, well done.

I am just so impressed with your resolve I had to post to say so.

Diving in 6'' viz, needing 4 hands, freezing water !!!

He's very lucky to have a Dad like you :)

Ross D

Visit site
Congratulations, I am very glad that you have finally had success.

Make sure you take loads of photos you could write a series of articles on the salvage and the repairs, you could make back at least some of the money you have spent.

Ross

davidfox

Visit site
My suggestion to scrap the boats has raised some annoyance from others. The correct way to recover the vessel would have been a salvage vessel alongside with all the necessary lifting gear. Trouble is that you would have probably been in for a minimum £ 10 K so that was a non runner from the start.
The trouble is that goodwill only lasts so long. Once that stops a lot of incriminations & finger wagging starts. Then the bill really escalates. If you cannot refloat it you still have to move it.
If you do raise the boat ( & everyone likes to see the little chap struggling against the odds come up trumps) you still have the problem of keeping it afloat, repairing it, using it in the future etc etc. the repairs will take ages, storage will run up costs. There is every chance that your son will eventually have to give up & get on with his life. Perhaps not , he may eventually win & have every right to be extremely proud of achieving something in life.

I do not know the value of the boat but from descriptions it cannot be too high ( although the emotional value may be very high). Emotions are not always the best routes to follow & my suggestion to cut your losses & walk away are not quite so frivolous as some may think. The further you go the deeper in you get.
Good luck with today's efforts but in the end i may be proved right with both of my somewhat contentious posts. My first one has already been proved to be dead right

Cant you just give it a rest!

maby

Visit site

Make sure you take loads of photos you could write a series of articles on the salvage and the repairs, you could make back at least some of the money you have spent.

Ross

Indeed! The headquarters building of one of our customers was totally destroyed by fire. It could have been a near fatal blow to their business but their disaster recovery plans proved to be so successful that, not only did they get up and running again, but they also became recognised experts on DR and gained a lot more business.

Nudge

Visit site
Graham, (& Mark)

Have been following with interest but didn't want to generate "noise" with anything that wouldn't help the task; but... I want to express how impressed I am with your faith, tenacity and downright courage and you both deserve the result acheived so far. It also shows the nay-sayers what really can be done with true determination.

Continuing a watching brief with interest!!

KevB

Visit site
Wow. I've been reading with much sympathy but great news you've managed to get her afloat. Now the work begins....

Excellent effort. Well done.

Iain C

Visit site
Well feck me. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who thought you weren't going to do that. Massively impressed, well done guys.

mtb

Visit site
The hope is that most of the "finish her off" leaks were above the waterline. She is still taking water but only to a small degree. The plan now is to allow her (or, more likely, cause her) to sink again under control and mark the leaks as they become apparent. Then they can be fixed at "leisure".

There was damage to the transom in that the bollards were ripped off. That may have caused damage below the water line.

We will see.

Once again, my utmost gratitude to all on the forum who helped.

Why on earth sink it again !!

It serves no purpose just more risk to the boat and any one else. If you actually let it sink I'm sure the marina will kick off big style

The planks will have taken up which will help as will taking a good look at all the planking and fittings you can get to
it's time to get stuck into heavy woodwork and calking
zinc sheets can be used with tar to cover across iffy area's until you can get to work on that section

cheers
mick

tyce

Visit site
Credit where credits due, I never thought you would do it so more than happy to eat humble pie, your son is lucky to have you.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Why on earth sink it again !!

It serves no purpose just more risk to the boat and any one else. If you actually let it sink I'm sure the marina will kick off big style

The planks will have taken up which will help as will taking a good look at all the planking and fittings you can get to
it's time to get stuck into heavy woodwork and calking
zinc sheets can be used with tar to cover across iffy area's until you can get to work on that section

cheers
mick
Sorry, didn't explain very well. Not totally sink - just sufficient to reveal the leaks. Then they can be marked. Then bring her back to full buoyancy and repair what was marked. Mark was intending to use steel sheet whereas I preferred ply. Maybe zinc would be more malleable. Good idea.

maby

Visit site
Sorry, didn't explain very well. Not totally sink - just sufficient to reveal the leaks. Then they can be marked. Then bring her back to full buoyancy and repair what was marked. Mark was intending to use steel sheet whereas I preferred ply. Maybe zinc would be more malleable. Good idea.

I think I would steer clear of steel sheet for a variety of reasons - you know it is going to be a short term solution since it will quickly start to rust in that environment and it is going to be difficult to cut, bend and fix in place. The stiffness of the steel is going to put strain on the hull structure which you really do not need right now. I would go for zinc or even aluminium - cheap, easy to work and pretty immune to the elements.

Ross D

Visit site
How about thin (3-4mm) plastic sheet, stuc on with mastic and a few copper nails to hold it in place. Very cheap easy to get hold of and will not suffer or react with any of the fixings or structure.

Ross

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
This is more likely to be read here than in the original post.

KAL wanted a MastaClimba but, with all this upset, it wasn't sent off until today.
He has asked on the forum to borrow one for this weekend.
He is on the Dart.
Can anyone help him please. Sorry to cross boundaries but he has a masthead problem.