crinnan canal

Steve_N

Visit site
Forgot to add that last year we also paid £50 for a canal 'pilot' as we were transitting v. short-handed (basically just me as my wife had hurt her arm), and it was the best £50 I've ever spent: every lock was prepared for you, your warps were expertly taken and made fast, the locks were operated and closed behind you. Oh and the 2 way traffic was co-ordinated with the other pilots coming in the opposite direction. Well worth considering for anyone short of gorillas.

cliffb

Visit site
But remember that a return trip is not double. Can't remember just how much ....
But would very much recomend a 'pilot' as well. We (the lady and I) went one way with two friends and realised that two handed would be a complete nightmare. So for the return trip we organised the 'pilots'. We got two of them for the price of one (I think) and it was a complete joy. It really is the only way to go.
Also , bear in mind, that for your return price you also get a license to do the Caledonian Canal. Which, again, is a lovely trip.
Enjoy

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Can't remember what I paid in 2005.

I got a one-way ticket for Crinan & Caledonian canals together. I believe you can get a return ticket so that you can go one way at the start of the season, and return at the end.

I did consider round the Mull, but I'm glad I went through the canals.

Strathglass

Visit site
One way 14 day ticket Calley and Crinnan £20 per meter.
Crinnan opened in the 19th, Calley open Mon-Fri till the 6th then open 7 days / week.

May be going through some time in April.

It's hard work for two going through the Crinnan.
Calleonian canal is much easier.

Iain

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Speaking as one of the said friends it was a very enjoyable experience but people with experience of narrowboating need to bear in mind the gates are bigger than they may have encountered and therefore probably harder to get moving. I am 6ft 2 and fairly heavy and used to shifting things and certainly felt like I had done a days work when we stopped. There was also quite a lot of walking between locks to prepare them.

Hi Cliff, speak to you soon.

Strathglass

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why is it hard?
i did the Caledonian canal on my own last year no probs...:p

[/ QUOTE ]

Caley canal very easy, Done it about 40 times +, often on my own. Including driving a twin engined cruiser up at Fort Augustus locks without using shore ropes.

It is the physical work of the Crinnon which is the hard work.

Iain

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Caley is a doddle compared to Crinan. It has lock keepers, hydraulic locks (which are operated for you), places to tie up to jetties. Coming into Crinan, the first lock at the east end (or first two at the west end) are attended. After that you are on your own. That means that you need to have someone ashore to prepare the lock and get the gates open, take lines, close gates and operate paddles. If you are going up, then the whole crew can get the gates open. Going down, it is up to the shore squad. On leaving the lock, the gates must be shut behind you and the paddles closed. And there is nowhere to tie up between locks on several flights. Working with a crew of fewer than four is VERY hard work. Me and my wife managed it two years ago, but she says NEVER AGAIN unless we hire a pilot.

By the way, British Waterways used to put the charges on the web site. Two years ago, they were time-based, and with my 31 footer, a 28 day licence was about £150. That gave access to any canal in Scotland during that period, hence the trip through the Caley. For those doing just the Crinan however, they did a single trip licence, and if you showed it on the way back you got a discount on the return trip.

colvic987

Visit site
Re: crinan canal

it cost me £78 for a 8.5 m boat in 2005 one way...

we had four aboard and a couple of locks where very hard to open, especially the lock 9 and 10 at dunardry. But great little canal, we had a deadline to meet so we only spent a 1 1/2 days going through... email Crinan@britishwaterways.co.uk for info...

plenty of pics of crinan, well worth £80 just for the experience, much nicer than going around the mull, and nice trip down to tarbert and into the anchor hotel for excellent meal at end of the day.....

one of the best memories of our 05 summer cruise...

Steve_N

Visit site
Re: crinan canal

I was over there on foot the other week and the entire eastern side of the canal back from the first lock after Bellanoch was drained for winter maintenance, of which a lot was going on.

It was interesting to see just how shallow it is near the banks and how far those lock sills do in fact extend back into the locks: well worth keeping your rudder away from! Oh and if you hit the bottom anywhere near Ardrishaig, it's likely to have been a shopping trolley/bike/TV/old tyre etc. that you hit..

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
One way 14 day ticket Calley and Crinnan £20 per meter.
Crinnan opened in the 19th, Calley open Mon-Fri till the 6th then open 7 days / week.

May be going through some time in April.

It's hard work for two going through the Crinnan.
Calleonian canal is much easier.

Iain

[/ QUOTE ]

Iain and I brought Rowana up from the Clyde in late 2005. Poor Iain had to work all the locks in the Crinnan by himself while I drove. Definately a hard day for him. We had a nice meal in the pub at Ardfern at the end of the day though.