Crinan Canal opening

steveeasy

Visit site
In the distant past, when the Crinan canal was still considered as a commercial shortcut, rather than a tourist destination, older school children would take lines and operate lock gates for a fee. The concept of the canal as a DIY service took a turn for the worse a few years ago when "assisted passage" was strongly encouraged by Scottish Canals, if not even mandated (I can't remember correctly if was compulsory). There are a few threads on here from that period (2015 if I remember correctly) of the hassle that wrought. Later the insistence of assistance was dropped and there were claims of pushy pilots demanding priority over other users of the canal.

Personally, transiting the canal is an enjoyable experience and if you have a crew it is easy to do, just follow the advice in the guide. Take your time and plan to enjoy the scenery and facilities around the canal, don't rush through as you will miss a lovely part of Scotland that is steeped in ancient history and has an abundance of nature. Consider berthing up, hiring a bike and cycling through the Moine Mhòr, a large area of raised bog in the Kilmartin Glen. Visit Kilmartin and the new Museum, just refurbished and expanded and will re open soon. Kilmartin Museum

This is one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland and should be savoured, not rushed through.

That is how it is marketed. Am I right you have 4 days to transit it. I’ll be going thru shorthanded so will use pilot. Just to keep things in order so I’ll not be stopping for too many icreams. Shame I like ice cream.

steveeasy

ctva

Visit site
Yes, you have 4 days in the Canal. Take your time and enjoy the trip. As to need of a pilot, unless you are single handed or getting on a bit, you don’t need one. The locks are easy to operate and you get into the swing after a few gates.

I think the need and use of pilots is a self perpetuating busThis came to mind when one of the YT channels we watch of a young adept 20/30 year old couple said they were going to get a pilot as it is recommended. All that RunAgroundHard mentions above is true and I have seen some examples first hand. When we transit as a couple, we prefer to go alone as it is quicker, easier and less hassle.

Pilots have their place but are not the be all and end all of transiting the canal..

Aja

Visit site
That is how it is marketed. Am I right you have 4 days to transit it. I’ll be going thru shorthanded so will use pilot. Just to keep things in order so I’ll not be stopping for too many icreams. Shame I like ice cream.

steveeasy

Good luck in getting an ice cream. One of the bonuses as a kid was getting an ice cream from the shop on the top stretch, sadly long gone.

Peter Pilot

Visit site
What terrible calamity can happen in a canal, at least one that might be blamed on a pilot? The safety of the vessel and the crew remains the responsibility of the master.
It's more about the gongoozlers / general public who are completely oblivious to what is going on around them. I have seen people try to cross the canal as someone is opening a gate.
In the distant past, when the Crinan canal was still considered as a commercial shortcut, rather than a tourist destination, older school children would take lines and operate lock gates for a fee. The concept of the canal as a DIY service took a turn for the worse a few years ago when "assisted passage" was strongly encouraged by Scottish Canals, if not even mandated (I can't remember correctly if was compulsory). There are a few threads on here from that period (2015 if I remember correctly) of the hassle that wrought. Later the insistence of assistance was dropped and there were claims of pushy pilots demanding priority over other users of the canal.

Personally, transiting the canal is an enjoyable experience and if you have a crew it is easy to do, just follow the advice in the guide. Take your time and plan to enjoy the scenery and facilities around the canal, don't rush through as you will miss a lovely part of Scotland that is steeped in ancient history and has an abundance of nature. Consider berthing up, hiring a bike and cycling through the Moine Mhòr, a large area of raised bog in the Kilmartin Glen. Visit Kilmartin and the new Museum, just refurbished and expanded and will re open soon. Kilmartin Museum

This is one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland and should be savoured, not rushed through.
Agree with taking your time. Use the whole period of the licence. I walk the trails of the Moine Mhor all year round. Killmartin is a great way to spend at least half a day.

I came across a "pushy pilot" when I worked for the canal. There is no place for them and they get no favours from the staff.

Peter Pilot

Visit site
Yes, you have 4 days in the Canal. Take your time and enjoy the trip. As to need of a pilot, unless you are single handed or getting on a bit, you don’t need one. The locks are easy to operate and you get into the swing after a few gates.

I think the need and use of pilots is a self perpetuating busThis came to mind when one of the YT channels we watch of a young adept 20/30 year old couple said they were going to get a pilot as it is recommended. All that RunAgroundHard mentions above is true and I have seen some examples first hand. When we transit as a couple, we prefer to go alone as it is quicker, easier and less hassle.

Pilots have their place but are not the be all and end all of transiting the canal..
If you are fit and capable there should be no issue with 2 crew. One on board and one on shore.

Peter Pilot

Visit site
I spoke to quite a few canal staff this morning as I perambulated along the canal towpath from Cairnbaan to Crinan. There is still a great deal of machinery etc at Dunardry locks 12 and 13, and at Crinan. The car park looks to be emptying as it appeared that some of the portacabins and storage units were about to be removed.
Not a boat in sight at the Bellanoch marina or the Crinan basin.

The sluices at 12 and 13 are said to be hard work. I'll be using them on Monday / Tuesday so I'll report back if there are any issues.

Peter Pilot

Visit site
Might be because the canal will not be open until Monday (hopefully...).

Have you got some transits booked for next week?
Jamie's lovely wooden boat is moored up in lock 15 ready to enter the Crinan basin when access is allowed. There are boats at Cairnbaan and Oakfield bridge which have wintered there.

A couple of provisional bookings for later in the month, but I don't expect many in April, Most skippers who book ahead, book their transit licence within a week of their arrival, but many just turn up at the sea lock.

Peter Pilot

Visit site
Here is piece of information I learned today while I strolled around Ardrishaig::

Locks 2,3 and 4 now have signs on each gate arm which read "a minimum of 2 people are needed to move this gate. " Interesting!

I took pictures but the files are too large to upload here.

Quandary

Visit site
I am intrigued by this idea of a 'pilot' (what a grandiose term for a mundane job) providing insurance that will benefit the boat owner. What risk do you guys imagine that I should be insuring you against. I have been doing this regularly as a service for about 15 years, before that my wife and i took our various boats through two or thee times a year; it keeps me fit and at the same time can benefit a charity. The percentage of pilots I have worked with in that time who had any sort of work insurance was zero, through all that time British Waterways and Scottish Canals have required that every boat carries substantial third party cover. Perhaps some new individuals have bought some sort of policy but if you are depending on it I would strongly advise asking for a chance to read the policy, does it offer you protection and against what?
The idea that, in providing assistance, I should carry insurance of benefit to someone I am assisting is a new one and really hard to fathom, I suspect the claimed cover does not cover either the boat or its crew, if it somehow does the premium must be massive and I can imagine the fun settling a claim versus the boat insurance could be. Do bus drivers have to provide insurance or is it left to their employers?
Scottish Canals were perhaps taking a a bit of a risk in listing pilots without determining competence because anyone could do it without ever having been near a boat, this year the list is gone but their stipulation of new conditions would appear to perhaps still leave them a bit exposed.
I repeat my assertion that the skipper of the boat is exactly that, whether in the confines of the canal or in mid Atlantic. When you engage me I become a temporary member of your crew, no more than that.

Quandary

Visit site
There have been signs advising two person operation on the extraordinarily heavy upper gates on lock 6 for something like ten years now, it meant I could not sue them when it took my left knee cartilage; a few year ago when 5 got really bad they put similar notices on it, I am surprised that you had never seen them.
Nobody takes them too seriously but it does suggest a bit of extra care., Perhaps this is why they are recommending three person operation?

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Here is piece of information I learned today while I strolled around Ardrishaig::

Locks 2,3 and 4 now have signs on each gate arm which read "a minimum of 2 people are needed to move this gate. " Interesting!

I took pictures but the files are too large to upload here.
The gates are heavy and the Crinan Canal staff insisted they help me, but as they insisted on sending out staff to manage the locks I let them have their way. Often they sent out two people - must have had time on their hands I guess.

Nothing that we could not have managed alone with just two of us, though it would have taken longer and possibly precluded a single day transit, but then again in such glorious scenery with such a range of historic interest, why hurry?

Martin&Rene

Visit site
As a 2 up yacht of OAPs, with my wife as the driver, we do use a pilot to give us hand, as it just makes it so much easier and it is good to have them around when some of your locking companions are not being too clever. Depending on the circumstances at the time, some of the pilots are prepared to let you do the trip in a couple of stages. If that cannot be arranged, you can always do overnight stays between locks 1 and 2 at Ardrishaig, between locks 13 & 14 or between locks 14-15 at the other end. Getting fuel from Crinan Boatyard, is a good alternative to going all the way up to Ardfern.

As somebody else has mentioned, going through with the West Highland Race Week crews is great. We learnt a lot on our first transit with the crew of Lemarac, Mr Tunnock's yacht.

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi,
I am rather hoping to use the Crinan canal next Friday/sSaturday. Can anyone offer advice on how much traffic their is on it at present. Unfortunately I really dont have too much time to spend on the canal but im sure it will be fun.

Steveeasy

ylop

Visit site
I am intrigued by this idea of a 'pilot' (what a grandiose term for a mundane job) providing insurance that will benefit the boat owner. What risk do you guys imagine that I should be insuring you against.
OK here's some examples:
- you carelessly throw a rope back to the boat. It hits the skipper either causing injury or knocking his expensive reactalight varifocals into the canal. Thats the action which someone employing a professional would probably not expect. It may well not be covered under the skippers own insurance (mine covers 3rd parties and damage to the boat but not damage to me).
- you untie a neighbouring boats line, which they weren't expecting, swinging into the lock wall and get damage. The Neighbour tries to claim off my insurance. I (or my insurer) point out that the person involved was a third party pilot not a member of crew.
- with little knowledge of the canal a skipper engages a pilot, which from its name, he assumes is there to guide him along the way. He follows, or perhaps misunderstands, your advice on where to position the boat and grounds damaging the keel. He tells the insurer what happened - and they say "OK - professional pilot seems to be at least partly to blame lets recover the cost from him". You can argue that "Crinan Canal Pilots are not Pilots" if you want but its going to be months of your life in legal arguments about what the inexperienced skipper should infer from the name.
- your actions on shore contribute to a 12 year old member of crew falling from the lock side a significant distance onto the deck of the boat. They get life changing injuries which require decade of expensive care. Your fault? The skippers fault? The 12 yr olds fault? The court will decide that. If it was your fault, are you covered under the skippers insurance (the child may not be a "third party" either)? With a claim of that size you can be sure the insurer will be looking for the clause that says does not cover any commercial use or employee!

Perhaps some new individuals have bought some sort of policy but if you are depending on it I would strongly advise asking for a chance to read the policy, does it offer you protection and against what?
I think you are looking at the problem the wrong way round. Insurance protects YOU the pilot from things YOU are liable for. If you are uninsured that doesn't mean the skipper isn't entitled to new glasses, or the child a life of care - it just means if the court decides it was caused by YOUR error/omission and you are liable that it won't be coming out of your pocket personally.

The idea that, in providing assistance, I should carry insurance of benefit to someone I am assisting is a new one and really hard to fathom,
are you providing assistance or are you providing guidance / advice? How do you describe yourself and what terms do you agree with the skipper? An informal service promoted by word of mouth where you ride your bike and catch his lines and in return he bungs you some beer money or sticks some cash in a lifeboat tin may well be looked at differently from someone advertising as a "Crinan Canal Pilot", with a set price, a website or even an email address like "CrinanPilot@gmail.com" etc. If it was me then I'd be signing a letter of engagement or T&Cs which make clear that he's the skipper and nothing is your fault etc! (but I'd also want some sort of insurance). Now that differs from if a friend of mine say, ylop I'm going through crinan short handed next week, don't suppose you fancy popping your bike in the car and giving us a hand. In fact I'd say even if he said, and there's some petrol money for the trouble, it would still not be a commercial arrangement.

Do bus drivers have to provide insurance or is it left to their employers?
are you suggesting you are an employee? I think a pilot is a private contractor. If the bus breaks down and a recovery firm is sent to tow it back - and the recovery firm tries to go under a low bridge who is liable - the bus driver or the recovery firm?

Scottish Canals were perhaps taking a a bit of a risk in listing pilots without determining competence because anyone could do it without ever having been near a boat,
so it does imply that there is some level of competence required - and you are not just a body following the instructions of the skipper.

Cdicko

Visit site
My observations from last year is that more than 50% of the boats have crews that are not on the ball. Some crews from a particular country are so cavalier that they ran into the back of each other going into the locks, hit the lock gates and were a headache for other boats and the canal staff. But two crews from that same country were very capable. Plenty of skippers who couldn't exit a lock in a straight line......crazy.
Interested to know which country your taking about? We’re looking at transiting later in the month and will give you a call :)

SAWDOC

Visit site
It looks as if the contractors are clearing up and that this year the canal will re-open as predicted on the 3rd April. It will nice to see the boats going past again.
Scottish Canals website for the Crinan no longer carries a list of private pilots but carries an instruction that boats with less than three on board should engage a private 'pilot' to assist them. Strange advice? I have transited probably more than 100 times in a variety of yachts assisted only by my wife without problem and without ever causing delay. Most of the pilots last year were lock keepers on their day off, I suspect Scottish Canals may be wary of being at risk if they give a recommendation.
This year I will be offering my services again, last year we managed to contribute £4,500 to Mary's Meals to provide a daily school meal for hungry kids in Malawi, a large proportion of that was raised from helping yachties on the canal, if you need my help ring 01546 603799.
Well done Quandary - I have personally witnessed the excellent service you provide and would have no hesitation in recommending you.

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi.
Over the years I’ve operated numerous locks on canal boat trips, fairly ok with the formalities and ass dangers.
I’ve been reading the guidance on the operation of locks on the crinan.
It states
ecure the craft by both bow and stern lines to the bollards provided. Always use a bowline to secure your lines, do not use a running line back to the boat which could jam causing injury or damage. It is not advisable for the shore crew to hold the warp, since

Ok if you uses bowline it’s fixed. The other end of the line must be allowed to run as the water drops but crew must not hold it.

The crew have to feed it out as the boat drops and conversely take the line in when the water rises dependant of course on the level it drops or raises.

Any ideas.
Steveeasy

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I single hand with pilot and this is how I do it. Centre cockpit.
Long line for bow and stern with bowlines tied.
Boat end is fed through fairleads at bow and stern.
I use snatch blocks at fairleads as it makes line running easier.
Stern line goes on my spinnaker winch, Bow line on my sheet winch.
Come alongside
Pass line to pilot
Pilot attaches
Pull lines in tight
Engine offf.
Take lines around winches
When boat rises winch lines in to keep close to wall
When boat drops, slip lines on winch to reduce strain and keep boat to wall.
Very easy, all done at cockpit by me.
When gates open, engine on, pilot drops lines, off I go.