Cricket insect type noise

Boathook

Visit site
Only hear it when in the boat and not outside so persumably in the water.
Boat is on the a river so fresh water.

Any suggestions as to what it might be. I believe crayfish, likely the signal ones are in abundance so do they make a cricket type noise ?

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Only hear it when in the boat and not outside so persumably in the water.
Boat is on the a river so fresh water.

Any suggestions as to what it might be. I believe crayfish, likely the signal ones are in abundance so do they make a cricket type noise ?
Not sure about crickets, but if it could also sound like a tiny fire of kindling, or cellophane being crumpled, I would conclude it is being made by "snapping shrimp" in the water.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
An insect stowaway?
"The cricket on the hearth" used to be tolerated. Cockroaches, on the other hand...

We were once offered an upgrade yacht for our holiday charter, if we excepted the challenge of deploying the cockroach killing bait that they would supply us with!

Another time we successfully deployed a rat trap that we had brought on holiday with us.

Neeves

Visit site
If you antifouling is getting tired and you are, have, developed some growth (on the hull) it is possible the local fish are grazing on the developing nutrients.

In the tropics the parrot fish can come round for dinner (and breakfast and lunch)

Jonathan

Poignard

Visit site
A few years ago shopkeepers etc. could buy a device emitting high frequency sound that was supposed to deter teenagers from gathering where they might cause trouble. (A low cost alternative to providing youth clubs and neighbourhood policing.)

I think it was eventually banned.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
A few years ago shopkeepers etc. could buy a device emitting high frequency sound that was supposed to deter teenagers from gathering where they might cause trouble. (A low cost alternative to providing youth clubs and neighbourhood policing.)

I think it was eventually banned.
I remember the reports. Maybe it started a sound war against the teenagers' ghetto blasters (no winner there!)...

Ray Purchase

Visit site
If you antifouling is getting tired and you are, have, developed some growth (on the hull) it is possible the local fish are grazing on the developing nutrients.

In the tropics the parrot fish can come round for dinner (and breakfast and lunch)

Jonathan
That would be my guess, is it like a cracking noise?

Yorkshire Exile

Visit site
Some years ago, after moving into a new house, I often heard, in the still of the night, a sound in the kitchen which I thought was crickets. I worked out that this proably was probably related to my friend's son who kept snakes which he fed on live crickets. I thought some must have got into a bag or coat which I came home with. It all made sense. Eventually I found two old smoke detectors in a kitchen draw which were clicking to tell me there batteries needed replacing.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Some years ago, after moving into a new house, I often heard, in the still of the night, a sound in the kitchen which I thought was crickets. I worked out that this was probably related to my friend's son who kept snakes which he fed on live crickets. I thought some must have got into a bag or coat which I came home with. It all made sense. Eventually I found two old smoke detectors in a kitchen draw which were clicking to tell me there batteries needed replacing.
Reminds me of the aftermath of a plumbing leak at my Mother's bungalow (100 miles away from me) which took a lot of drying out. So I installed a wet detector under the sink to guard against recurrence, which my Mother promptly forgot about. So when a small slug got in and triggered the detector she had to pay a handyman to come and find the source of the noise...