Crewsaver Lifejacket and Hammar - beware leaking

HinewaisMan

www.oceanodyssey.net
If you have an older Crewsaver lifejacket fitted with the Hammar Automatic Inflation, I’d suggest you read on.

Mea Culpa, my Crewsaver N150’s are no spring chickens, well over 10 years old, and haven’t been used much over the last few years.

But today’s job was to check all the life jackets on board, make a list of what needed replacing and do an inflation teat.

One of the Crewsaver’s deflated almost immeadiately.

Investigation showed that the plastic seal around the Hammar had perished and split. The lifejacket is useless now.

split.jpg

Out of the 8 lifejackets I carry, the THREE Crewsaver 150N’s which had Hammar fitted were ALL suffering the same problem.

Thankfully, these are the only jackets with the Hammar, and when I replace them, the new ones won’t have the Hammar. Like my other 5 jackets which were fine.

So if I may, I would suggest that if you have an older Crewsaver with a Hammar fitted, check it before you use it again!

Reactions: DJE

Boathook

Visit site
Have you mentioned it to crewsaver? I assume that the seal is part of the hammer unit rather than the material used for the lifejacket itself. Either way, it is worrying that something like that has had such a failure.

I recently tested some very old (40 years plus) Avon lifejackets. Still held pressure and material seem sound. Cut them up and binned as they were very uncomfortable to wear and just taking up loft space. Seemed a shame but if uncomfortable, no harness built in, etc not likely to be used.

HinewaisMan

www.oceanodyssey.net
Have you mentioned it to crewsaver? I assume that the seal is part of the hammer unit rather than the material used for the lifejacket itself. Either way, it is worrying that something like that has had such a failure.

A good point, I will do.

It is the lifejacket that failed, there's a soft elastic plastic ring bonded to the jacket, soft enough to allow the Hammar to go through the hole, then return to its original form and onto which the two parts of the Hammar seal. It's that ring that seems to have perished.

Why are they still in use?

Well, they are not now, they're broken.

And they haven't been used much recently becuase of Covid, it sort of delayed carrying on with my circumnaviagtion.

But I was bought up to inspect, carry out preventative maintainance, make repairs to maintain the function of an item rather than throw it away when it gets to some nebulous age. Or maybe if it isn't quite the right colour for the latest fashion in pfds.

The other 5 are sitting on my pilot berth as I write this, still hard, maintaining full inflation after 48 hours. They'll do me.

penberth3

Visit site
But I was bought up to inspect, carry out preventative maintainance, make repairs to maintain the function of an item rather than throw it away when it gets to some nebulous age. Or maybe if it isn't quite the right colour for the latest fashion in pfds.

You've now found out how materials deteriorate with age. Are you still going to ignore the manufacturers "nebulous age" recommendation?

HinewaisMan

www.oceanodyssey.net
You've now found out how materials deteriorate with age. Are you still going to ignore the manufacturers "nebulous age" recommendation?

Hmm, not sure if a manufacturer’s Use By recommendation could be defined as a nebulous date, but I get your point.

Do Crewsaver have a recommended lifespan on their products then?

Of course manufacturer’s recommended product lifespans are important, especially if it might cost you your life. Or a lot of money. I mean a spray painter down here in Dover just tried to palm off a load of out of date Sherrin-Williams paint on me. Not a very subtle chap, scratching off the Use by dates on both Comps A and B tins, but I knew to check from the data sheets.

But I see no reason to discard well inspected and maintained equipment just because it’s getting a bit old. Funnily enough, it was only the flashy Hammar fitted pfds that failed, the old fashioned pellet armed ones are fine.

And I’m sure I’m not the only person who has older pfds who reads this forum. If my post means that one person checks and discovers the same issue so that the last thought that goes through their mind is not “Oooooo, pretty bubbles”, I’ll be well happy.

arto

Visit site
I've been servicing my 150N Crewsaver lifejackets, testing them for airtightness and replacing the Hammar devices.

Thanks for the tip. I'll pay particular attention to the seal around the Hammar.

No nasty surprises so far. All airtight (hold pressure > 24 hours). The lifejackets are > 12 years old but not heavily used. No visible signs of wear.

Helidan

Visit site
Hammar head sealing rings are supposed to be inspected annually along with weighing the cylinder and checking the cylinder is still screwed tightly into the Hammar back plate (Loctite 222 is meant to be used here). Must admit I've never seen a ring fail like that though!!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
So was I, being a Scot we have a reputation to keep. For me lifejackets have a usable life of seven years after that they get replaced. After they are three years old they get returned to Crewsaver for inspection. Having a local service center is fantastic.

Resolution

Visit site
Last year two out of six of my lifejackets failed the 24 hour test, four held pressure well. But they were all 15 years old and so this year I have taken the hint and replaced the lot. The thought of watching a family member drown because I had scrimped on safety kit was an absolute decider.

CM74

Visit site
It's always worth checking and servicing your own lifejackets, it's not that difficult, and there's guides online if you aren't sure. If it stays inflated for 12+ hours, cylinder weighs what it should (and isn't corroded) and the auto firing pin is still in date then it's likely more reliable than a brand new unchecked one...

I used to be responsible for the checks on the lifejackets at work (weekly visual check and monthly overnight inflation) and the amount of times where even week to week the bottles started to work loose was surprising. The guys were supposed to check them themselves too - clearly some did and some didn't.

Current work gets them serviced annually and apparently that's all they need... But I make a point of checking them weekly anyway

My current yachtie one is a Seago, and it has a neat rubber thing that seems to do a good job of stopping the cylinder working loose which is a great idea