Creative use of a forecabin

Oscarpop

Visit site
As we approach the end of our first year as full time liveaboards, we constantly lament our storage space .

However it occurs to me that in 52 weeks afloat, we only have used he forecabin for guests for 10 of those weeks. The rest of the time it becomes a repository for boat stuff, as here are only two of us on board

So it occurred that rather than just throwing things in there , it could be put to better use.

I don't want to do anything structural , but has anyone else made better use of their forecabin than just random storage.

Cheers

rogerthebodger

Visit site
As we approach the end of our first year as full time liveaboards, we constantly lament our storage space .

However it occurs to me that in 52 weeks afloat, we only have used he forecabin for guests for 10 of those weeks. The rest of the time it becomes a repository for boat stuff, as here are only two of us on board

So it occurred that rather than just throwing things in there , it could be put to better use.

I don't want to do anything structural , but has anyone else made better use of their forecabin than just random storage.

Cheers

No, but I have often thought of hanging some net hammocks above the bunks to make storage more efficient.

Yngmar

Visit site
My boat's sistership had during their circumnavigation first chopped off a bit of the v-berth side for tool storage, and then later on converted the entire forward cabin into a workshop. Photo source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sy_bomika/4517426089/in/photostream/

4517426089_da0b4c440f_o.jpg

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
By the end of our second year on board, we'd figured out that one of the aft cabins was, in terms of being used as accommodation, surplus to requirements. We removed the mattress and got rid of the foam but kept the cover and gave over the port aft cabin for use as the shed. It's where all the 'stuff' we use once a year lives, along with spares for everything. No modifications made, as the access isn't such that it'd make sense to convert it into a workspace. It gets cleared out once a year, the contents reviewed and anything which hasn't seen the light of day for over a year is disposed of! Otherwise, things would start to spill out of the door.......

RupertW

Visit site
By the end of our second year on board, we'd figured out that one of the aft cabins was, in terms of being used as accommodation, surplus to requirements. We removed the mattress and got rid of the foam but kept the cover and gave over the port aft cabin for use as the shed. It's where all the 'stuff' we use once a year lives, along with spares for everything. No modifications made, as the access isn't such that it'd make sense to convert it into a workspace. It gets cleared out once a year, the contents reviewed and anything which hasn't seen the light of day for over a year is disposed of! Otherwise, things would start to spill out of the door.......

We have a bunk bed cabin which we use in a similar way - mostly clothes, towels and bedding but also project stuff. All too often one of the aft cabins gets taken over for easy access when doing work as well, which is why it is so useful when we have two couples or families with kids on board as guests as this ensures I clean out the aft cabin. And I think our boat has plenty of storage as well - just too many projects half finished.