Crap pubs in the Solent

G

Not trolling - I mean it. By spreading the word these outfits will have to get their act together.

Mine vote for the crapist (is that an adjective) pub goes to the Master Builder at Bucklers hard. To my knowledge they have

Run out of food

Run out of beer! ("we didn't expect this many people" This from the only pub in an idylic, historic village at the height of summer in the New Forest!!)

Miserable as sin staff

Now they've only got pre-wrapped sandwiches from a machine - but oohhh the price - you wouldn't believe it!

What gets your vote?

Geoff

zefender

Visit site
I'm with you on the Master Builder. The service is appalling. I waited nearly two hours one evening to be provided with a half portion of tagliatelle with 'Sainsbury's' pasta sauce all over it - and charged about £8 for the priviledge. Friends with me took whatever food came, even if it wasn't what they ordered. We left without paying - nobody noticed.

Hopefully, His Greatness, their landlord, will chuck 'em out soon.

G

The ShiP Inn, Lymington.
Never, ever make the mistake of wandering into the first pub when you get off the boat at Lymington Town Quay. It is a Brewers Fayre McPub and shite for it.
Much better to walk 50 yards further up the cobbles to the Kings Head.
It is a shame, as it is the only pub in Lym that is right on the water.

Nick

tcm

Visit site
Re: nother vote for master builder

by the time we got drinks it was one-minute past whenevr the food orders stop, so hard luck, sorry. OK, but we've sailed for hours, so cd we pls possibly buy some food, and we can go back to boat and cook it then? Nope, cos we're expecting custmers tomorrow see? Eh? er but does it mak any diference?...well we'll have some crsips then. Nope - run out of them too.

G

Why do these threads invariably get off the subject. It was poor hostelries that were being discussed - not, Nicho, the best!

cgull

Visit site
Went to same pub earlier this season, on a quiet Sat night, door was locked at 10pm, must admit they opened up fdor us,only beer.

I do recall that it used to be good for food.

G

I think you will find that most of them serve crab. The New Inn, Shalfleet is an example.

DavidP

Visit site
hi,
Maybe the boating mags that we all buy and read should publish some of these threads, so a larger audience would be informed and so no what to expect and try to avoid these places ,
Dave.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I once waited over an hour in the Folly Inn for a steak pie that was served barely warm amd consisted of micro waved tinned steak with a puff pastry lid. I don't know what it's like now as I never went back.

tony_brighton

Visit site
The Master Builder must have used that excuse on more than one occasion - I've had it before. Try the restaurant instead - but book wel in advance.

Castletine

Visit site
Crap pubs are the norm across the Uk

I have actually given up trying to find somewhere half decent to sip and sup.
In terms of cuisine we are sadly a long way from our french neighbours. In the UK the bell at the bar is now being complemented by the 'ping' of the microwave in the kitchen and the 'meal' that is produced is oft a long throw from the 'tasty morsel' portrayed on the glossy overstated menu. It's either fried or pinged and too much consumed (under duress) will block you so badly you'll end up walking like John Wayne.
I've extended my Galley to compensate and the bilge is a marvelous environment for the potent homebrew, and I figure I have the best seaborn 'pub' in any area. That said, I live in the hope that one day I will find good beer, good food and good service at a good price, but in the meantime, many a happy time is had aboard and none of the regulars have ever complained!

G

Book in advance ?????

Shouldn't be necessary to book in the rest. - when you only want a pint and nibble !!!

Master Builder actually rates low on my list also, but I like sitting outside with a Guinness - historic village etc.

My Crapiest Vote goes to : Actually I can't decide which is the worst out of my list !! But lets try ....

Top of List -
All pubs along Ryde Seafront + 200 yds back along offstreets !
Marina Pubs / bars as they cater for everything other than good food and good beer.
Seagull Pub - Hayling Island
Can't remember its name, but Pub on right-hand side just before Hayling Yacht co. when going onto island ....
Big ex carvery on Hayling Island, now a Beefeater or Harvester style place .... why ? Ordered a Guiness, barman handed over a pint with a head that defied all Olympic records ... asked barman to 'Top it up' ... he proceeded to inject lemonade and claimed I asked for 'Top' .... have you ever tried to drink Guiness with Lemonade ???? UGH UGH UGH !!!
Most pubs nearest to the boat !!!!!

But there are some good ones and I like :

Ship Inn, Hayling Island Causeway
Ferry Inn, Hayling Island
Skandalas Bar in Klaipeda
Lost Continent Bar in Tallinn
Pie Andrej in Ventspils

So .....

jimi

Visit site
Guinness Shandy

Once created absolute mayhem in a pub by ordering a Guinness shandy. If the barman's really pissed you off, try it!!

Way, way top of my list of crap pubs is the Folly, 1 hour standing in queue just to order food, (Incidentally if you were the persons that jumped the queue, I think you were the ones that bent my stanchion in Brixham & then buggered off!), followed by 25 minutes of queueing for a drink.

Won't be back, shame really as Andy, the previous landlord seemed to have it well organised.

Jim

G

Other Forum / Menus

Yep ... some do actually read / post to the other forum dedicated this subject.

As regards food in the average pub .... I am sure that due to the change of laws etc. making it commercially advisable for pubs to become eating / family orientated instaed of the traditional getting pissed location .... has meant that business has infiltrated the Food chain. Between REAL ingredients and the 'kitchen' .... actually should we call that the Micro-wave room ...... a factory style preparation business prepares the standard basic meals partially cooked and delivers en mass to all pubs in the area, including trhe Harvesters, Beefeaters etc.
Depending on the style / design of plate, the quickness of hand to open the microwave door when it pings, the distribution of portion and sprinkling of garnish over to hide its origins .... we get 'hood-winked' into thinking its better, different etc. etc.

Long live the Calor Gas on board !!!!!

By the way I know that the Master Builder lost its supply of local Oysters one time ..... they used to be left at low water mark on the small beach immediately down from the pub ..... some b-----d nicked 'em !!!! Not Guilty M'Lord ....

G

Re: Guinness Shandy

I will NEVER ever try it again -

Folly - I really liked it before, we held the PBO Meet Dinners there etc. ... now we may be thinking elsewhere ....

I can remember the very old days of Folly - when it was a small pub, with cosy window areas etc. - the Warcry used to be passed around by Sally army etc. etc. It was the best place then, but sadly once the big chain got hold of it, developed the extensions and introduced Nation-wide style to it ....... UGH !

G

The Master Builder is the pits. The staff move like they are thigh deep in treacle(aka east coast mud) Once, with the assistance if my father, managed to pinch a coulple of bottles of wine from their store which made up for the lack of service!

For decent food and a good pint, try the Old Ship at Bursledon, been eating there for a few seasons, and no food poisoning yet!

EdEssery

Visit site
Re: Guinness Shandy

Try pouring it so that the Guiness and the Lemonade are separated with the Guiness on top of the Lemonade...

I met my wife as result of being able to do this...(long story!)

Ed