CP180i SOG reading...

V1701

Visit site
Morning all,
First sail with the new plotter yesterday, everything fine apart from the speed over ground was only reading in whole numbers, i.e. variously showed 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0 knots. Is it normal for this unit to only show SOG in whole numbers, the display implies it should be giving it in increments of tenths of knots? I have this morning changed the tracking step unit from distance to time but not sure that this will affect the SOG reading. This is the latest model, a friend's older one does read in tenths of knots. Any advice please?
Thanks,
David.

fireball

Visit site
Mine reads to 1 dp. Sometimes you do get an error in the distance log - it doubles the actual distance as measured by another gps!

It is an older version of firmware

mdrifter

Visit site
SH plotter quirk?

We've been using the cp300i and although this might not be your problem, initially the update of vessel position was slow and rarely pointed in the right direction...This could have been as a result of inquisitive finger trouble but I'm not convinced. After some more inquisition I discovered a "hidden" sub menu on GPS page which gave the option of faster update and the problem was solved and position accurately pointed the correct way and sog is x.x - no mention in manual about the gps sub menu nor anywhere else, leading me to think that maybe factory default is for mobos rather than raggies?

V1701

Visit site
Thanks for replies, just spoken to SH UK, it's a known issue with the version of software that I have & they're posting an upgrade out to me first class today, good service I have to say...

wooslehunter

Visit site
DJBreeze - check again with SH. I spoke to them last week about something else & they told me there was a new update expected in a few weeks. No point in updating only to update again soon. If you are getting the new one, please let me know.

V1701

Visit site
DJBreeze - check again with SH. I spoke to them last week about something else & they told me there was a new update expected in a few weeks. No point in updating only to update again soon. If you are getting the new one, please let me know.

Well it'll be on the way now so I'll update anyway to rectify the SOG issue. Are we entitled to plotter software updates as a matter of course, if so presumably we have to request them which is difficult as we don't know when they might be being released?

theoldsalt

Visit site
Hi All,

I have a Standard Horizon 300i

I wasn't aware sofware upgrades are available and am thinking of getting one.

I have looked at the software upgrade website and am a little concerned about giving Credit Card deails.

Has anyone used the upgrade service and was it successful and FREE.

Jeff

maxi77

Visit site
Hi All,

I have looked at the software upgrade website and am a little concerned about giving Credit Card deails.

Jeff

Worked a treat for me, SH support is very good, sent me bits for free for the radio.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
CP300 'hidden' sub-menu

We've been using the cp300i and although this might not be your problem, initially the update of vessel position was slow and rarely pointed in the right direction...This could have been as a result of inquisitive finger trouble but I'm not convinced. After some more inquisition I discovered a "hidden" sub menu on GPS page which gave the option of faster update and the problem was solved and position accurately pointed the correct way and sog is x.x - no mention in manual about the gps sub menu nor anywhere else, leading me to think that maybe factory default is for mobos rather than raggies?

Can you spell out in more detail how you accessed that sub-menu to change the update rate?

We have had the reverse problem on our CP300i (otherwise a great bit of kit), in that the position updates too frequently for our little boat, so in the time it has updated we've usually gone forward a only a couple of yards, and rolled onto the other bilge, so the plotter thinks we're zig-zagging along, heading swinging wildly. To get an idea of real COG we have to do a mental average of the figures displayed.

Another question -We are on the software that it came with about three years ago. Is there any real advantage in updating?

V1701

Visit site
Hi All,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I've given them my credit card details but they've assured me that they won't take any money as long as I return the chip to them within 30 days. The question still remains as to whether we as customers are allowed by SH to have the updates FOC as a matter of course. I was reporting a problem with the version that I have on my newly bought plotter, so maybe they'd not have been so forthcoming if it was just a request for a free upgrade. I will report back on the upgrade. I will also return the chip within 30 days and if they do take any money rest assured there will be trouble...:)

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
Superb...

... Service from SH. I updated the software last summer, gave cc details, got chip, did update thingy and sent it back. No issues or problems at all. I too have asked for spares including a second mounting for my 180i and got it overnight. No connection etc just very happy with SH level of service and backup.

Parsonsheath

Visit site
I have just had my free update to the unit,told updates through several times a year, and I had caught the most recent, what I forgot to ask was the price for future updates, anyone know?
The dealer did say most folk do this every 2 to 3 years.

Leighb

Visit site
I have had a couple of updates, no charge for any, both were to address a particular problem. All worked smoothly.

I had a problem with the mounting bracket of my CP300i, in that it became loose in the horizontal rotation. They sent me a new unit, AND another spare, all FOC. Excellent service from Standard Horizon.

pvb

Visit site
Can you spell out in more detail how you accessed that sub-menu to change the update rate?

Isn't he referring to the GPS Set-up Menu (section 12.5.1 in the manual)? This allows you to select either low or high navigation speed, which presumably results in a slow or fast position update.

V1701

Visit site
Just to report back that the chip arrived today and fixed the problem, speed now reading in tenths of knots not just whole knots. The note with it said it would be £75 if I don't return it within 30 days registered post. Very happy with the service from them...:)

Oh and it's V 16.22.00 R dated 10/09/2010...

LittleSister

Visit site
CP300 'hidden' sub-menu

Isn't he referring to the GPS Set-up Menu (section 12.5.1 in the manual)? This allows you to select either low or high navigation speed, which presumably results in a slow or fast position update.

Ah! That looks like it. I have trawled the manual looking for something like that but somehow it eluded me. Will give that a try. Thank you very much.

LittleSister

Visit site
I have trawled the manual looking for something like that but somehow it eluded me.

Now I know why it eluded me: Having retrieved our manual from the boat it's not in there! There's no para 12.5.1 or any reference to the GPS Set-Up page (I was using the online download for my earlier answer). Presumably this was added in later version of the manual only, and hence earlier poster 'mdrifter' said s/he'd found sub-menu unmentioned by the manual.