Coronavirus and Greece

grumpygit

Visit site
We've had a text over the w/e saying our ferry out of Venice on the 19th June has been cancelled because of travel restrictions out of Italy, re info WWalsh #356.
So we spoke to Minoan to re-book, they said they have had no official notice from the government but send an email to re-book and we'll be in touch
Then this morning we have had another text from Minoan stating . . . . .
#quote "Kindly be advised that from 15/06/2020 at 1500 the trips are open again until new announcement (very possible)" #un-quote
The ball is in the air . . . . who knows!

Tony Cross

Visit site
We've had a text over the w/e saying our ferry out of Venice on the 19th June has been cancelled because of travel restrictions out of Italy, re info WWalsh #356.
So we spoke to Minoan to re-book, they said they have had no official notice from the government but send an email to re-book and we'll be in touch
Then this morning we have had another text from Minoan stating . . . . .
#quote "Kindly be advised that from 15/06/2020 at 1500 the trips are open again until new announcement (very possible)" #un-quote
The ball is in the air . . . . who knows!
I think perhaps it's important to remember that although the government may make rules and provisions, commercial companies like Minoan won't necessarily open up immediately. They have commercial considerations to take into account after all. :)

wwalsh

Visit site
This gives an idea what risk greece is taking when they will do only sampling testing.

Tests from yesterdays flight Doha to Athens found 12 positive. Nine Pakistani nationals with a residence permit in Greece, two Greek nationals coming from Australia and one Japanese national, a member of a Greek-Japanese family. The remainder of the flight will be tested again at the end of their mandatory 7 day quarantine. Flights to and from Qatar are now banned until 15 June.
Κορονοϊός: 12 κρούσματα σε πτήση από Ντόχα - Προσωρινή αναστολή των πτήσεων από Κατάρ

The greek government also announced they will pay for the accommodation of any tourist that tests positive.

also.....Gyms are going to open on Jun 15.

Last edited:

alexsailor

Visit site
what is the situatuon now in Greece? we plan to untie the lines end of June and head to Greece from Croatia.
I see some AIS movement so I guess sailing/anchoring is allowed?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
what is the situatuon now in Greece? we plan to untie the lines end of June and head to Greece from Croatia.
Last I heard it only allowed within boats in Greece unless that's changed .
Sardinia is beautiful and quiet , room for just one more boat :)

Tony Cross

Visit site
General tourism restarts on 1st July but I would suggest that you contact the port authority in your intended port of entry into Greece and check with them. You may need to quarantine yourselves or be tested I guess.

alexsailor

Visit site
@Vic
hehe. I plan to do Sardinia trip in October bit with van.

@Tonny Cross
tnx . I’ll check that. Quarantine is not acceptable for me. I hope there will be no stupid “rules” for sailors. If so, than I’ll stay in Croatia

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Alex look like from the 15 June for your country mate.
But not sure if that's just flights or travel by sea too .
Nationals of the following countries will be eligible to travel to Greece as of June 15: Albania, Australia, Austria, Northern Macedonia, Bulgaria, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, Estonia, Japan, Israel, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Montenegro, Hungary, Romania, New Zealand, Norway, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Czech Republic, and Finland.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Alex look like from the 15 June for your country mate.
But not sure if that's just flights or travel by sea too .
Nationals of the following countries will be eligible to travel to Greece as of June 15: Albania, Australia, Austria, Northern Macedonia, Bulgaria, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, Estonia, Japan, Israel, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Montenegro, Hungary, Romania, New Zealand, Norway, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Czech Republic, and Finland.
But not the plague ridden UK!

I am appalled at that Dohat flight what 12 showed positive to the virus. It makes me wonder why the UK even bothers with its quarantine measures... trust the biggest to self isolate.

My plans are to come out via Athens around 12th September for 6 weeks or so. I suspect there woll be loads of boats around in October

sailaboutvic

Visit site
But not the plague ridden UK!

I am appalled at that Dohat flight what 12 showed positive to the virus. It makes me wonder why the UK even bothers with its quarantine measures... trust the biggest to self isolate.

My plans are to come out via Athens around 12th September for 6 weeks or so. I suspect there woll be loads of boats around in October
I think the UK is being black listed ,
Well we very happy to have the seas and anchorages to your self here in Sardinia , we had two close call yesterday, first in the morning when the coast guard hovered around us for quite a long time , us thinking any time now there be over , we even got out old marina contract and printed out our track since we left Sicily ready for the three degree , but they just speed off , at around 13.30 another one turned up now we thinking there sent in the reinforcements, they too just hovered around , a look from the bio and there they where having lunch and smoking , they pass given us a wave .
So here we are all alone , feel very strange in one of the busy anchorage on the island we by our self .

hank56

Visit site
I have booked a ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg on 16th June and plan to drive from Cherbourg to Ancona and get the ferry to Igoumenitsa. I believe that I am ok to get on the ferry in Dublin and to get across France and Italy - but I do not know if I can get from Italy to Greece on the Ferry. I will be travelling as an engineer - "for work"
Does anyone have any information if I can travel from Italy to Greece?
Also are there any other alternative routes?

grumpygit

Visit site
I have booked a ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg on 16th June and plan to drive from Cherbourg to Ancona and get the ferry to Igoumenitsa. I believe that I am ok to get on the ferry in Dublin and to get across France and Italy - but I do not know if I can get from Italy to Greece on the Ferry. I will be travelling as an engineer - "for work"
Does anyone have any information if I can travel from Italy to Greece?
Also are there any other alternative routes?

I have no further information apart from optimism or any further concrete info from what I have previously mentioned.
The Euro-tunnel have reconfirmed our crossing on the 19th and Minoan stopped and then started taking bookings again. They have laid an extra ferry on for our sailing date so I am hoping they know something more than what is being officially published.
Apparently an announcement on the sailings for cars and individuals to and from Italy/Greece is to be given on the 15th . . . . . . Fingers crossed for a positive outcome!

Crisby

Visit site
Despite having EasyJet flights booked to Preveza for-the 1st July and an email yesterday telling me that it hasn’t been cancelled ‘yet’ we are planning to drive from the UK.

Ancona seems to be the best compromise for ferries a it reduces driving time with little increase in ferry time.

Hoping for good news on the 15th.............

Chris

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Despite having EasyJet flights booked to Preveza for-the 1st July and an email yesterday telling me that it hasn’t been cancelled ‘yet’ we are planning to drive from the UK.

Ancona seems to be the best compromise for ferries a it reduces driving time with little increase in ferry time.

Hoping for good news on the 15th.............

Chris
We were looking at driving to the East side of Greece - some 2000 miles! however having seen Easy jets cost£45 plus baggage one way - I am inclined to book. If the problem of quarantine still exists either coming back here or going out then I might think again - easy jet will allow the flight to be changed for next year

Tony Cross

Visit site
I have no further information apart from optimism or any further concrete info from what I have previously mentioned.
The Euro-tunnel have reconfirmed our crossing on the 19th and Minoan stopped and then started taking bookings again. They have laid an extra ferry on for our sailing date so I am hoping they know something more than what is being officially published.
Apparently an announcement on the sailings for cars and individuals to and from Italy/Greece is to be given on the 15th . . . . . . Fingers crossed for a positive outcome!
There is talk of a 'travel bubble' between Greece and Italy so you might be ok. :)

hank56

Visit site
Greek ports opening on 1st July to International tourists.

Planning to leave Dublin on 27th and depart Ancona on 30th - to arrive in Igoumenitsa on 1st July.

Gagging to get back boating!!!