Cornwall (Plymouth) to Wales

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm just in the starting days of moving my boat from Southampton to Oban area.

I've got it to Plymouth (despite the lack of wind) and now need to get around Lands end and over to Wales.

This looks a bit daunting, though not scary waters certainly a lack of marinas and some long hauls.

any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

I've also put this on the Bristol Channel forum.

Thanks for any advice.

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm just in the starting days of moving my boat from Southampton to Oban area.

I've got it to Plymouth (despite the lack of wind) and now need to get around Lands end and over to Wales.

This looks a bit daunting, though not scary waters certainly a lack of marinas and some long hauls.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

I've also posted this in another part of the members forum I merely thought you folk may be able to offer some good local advice.

Andy

lustyd

Visit site
Milford Haven is a good stop after Newlyn or Penzance. I don’t particularly like it as a place and there’s a bit of a motor up the harbour but it’s welcome rest and calm after the trip.

ash2020

Visit site
No advice really, I've never done it, but I just had mine trucked down from Oban last year. You'll have some amazing sailing there, I miss the place. Do you know where you're going to keep her?
BTW, we used to often go to a lovely little anchorage at a tiny island just off Lismore. The What3words location is here. ///notch.modes.munched
Good luck with the journey.

Supertramp

Visit site
If the wind goes to the West, go up the Irish coast, if East, Wales is good. If North, none of its good!

There are overnight anchorages up the Welsh coast, and up the Irish coast. More marinas up the Irish side without the detours Milford Haven or Pwllheli require.

Use the tide carefully as it is fierce in places.

V1701

Visit site
Coming the other way in a Bowman 26 we were stuck in Milford Haven for 4 days due to bad weather, it's super friendly, very reasonable prices & everything you need is close by, didn't mind it at all. Then we crossed from Milford to Falmouth in one, motor all the way unfortunately but there were loads of dolphins showing off & entertaining us...

lustyd

Visit site
I wasn’t saying it was bad, completely agree Milford is fine and friendly but for me it’s not a destination marina just a safe and pleasant stop

jdc

Visit site
We go most years from Falmouth to Plockton, and back.

From Falmouth you can get round land's end in one tide: a favourable tide lasts 9 out of 12 hours if going N round the land. So first stop I'd do is Falmouth or, better, an anchorage on the Lizard peninsula (eg Helford).

Leave at local HW + 2, when the tide is just about to turn W going. To Lizard is 18 miles, say 3 hours, and to Runnel Stone a further 18, then only 4 or 5 to Longships. So 7 hours say, easily possible in the 9 hour window.

What to do after that rather depends on weather and you / your crew. I usually go direct towards Carnsore point or Tuskar rock, about 130 miles (which takes somewhere between 18 and 24 hours). The complications are a TSS off Land's End which forces you to go due N for a while before turning towards the SE corner of Ireland, and another TSS off Tuskar itself which I usually go inshore of. To avoid the TSS off Land's End you could make a stop in Scilly, but then you risk dawdling there!

Some years we go via Milford Haven (Dale) when coming S, but rarely if going N; supposing you don't leave Falmouth with strong northerlies forecast you probably are best to give Milford a miss when going N. It means a night at sea, but long experience has taught me that the secret of passage making is to set off, and not stop until you get there!

As it has always worked out, we then push on up the Irish coast inside the banks, stopping for a short night anchored off somewhere like Cahore or Arklow - it's all sand up this coast - and then trug on N, stopping in Dublin if tired (or for pleasure). The reason to stop for a short night is pot buoys; the Irish coast is littered with them making it less fun to sail at night close inshore. Another long sail is then from Dublin to the North Channel which takes a bit less than 24 hours to the Mull of Kintyre or to Troon. Usually we stop in Gigha. From there it's no slog, instead a delightful and probably sheltered passage to Oban (we divert from your path having gone through the Firth of Lorne by going up the Sound of Mull).

Good luck an enjoy it.

merjan

Visit site
On trips between South Wales and the South Coast / France, we usually stop in either Padstow or Lundy. The anchorage in Lundy is great in a SWly but less than ideal otherwise.

Tzu

Visit site
I single handed Solent to North Wales year before last and did Newlyn - Dale in one 23hr hit. Still not sure if that was a good idea SH but it did get that bit out of the way and saved me a day diversion into Padstow. However.. time your trip round Lands End for slack water to arrive at the Runnel Stone as the tide turns and you get a lift from the tide as well as the chance to appreciate the scenery taking the passage inside Longships

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Depends how long you want the legs. For us Plymouth to Iona was:- Plymouth, Falmouth, Newlyn (freindly nowadays), down with tide and then rise past The Land, anchor St Ives, Padstow but taking a break by rising up estuary to harbour rather than anchoring by the Doom, Lundy, Dale or South haven Skomer, Arklow Dublin/Howth/DL, then work up to Bangor (Ire) and so forth to Ardglas, Glenarm Ballycastle for crossing the North Channel, Islay, Iona then up coast to the sound of k

Visit site
HI All,

We did it in one hop in the end.

Newlyn to Milford Haven 120 Nm 20 hours. Very tired sailors arrived in Milford Haven, Now in Aberystwyth and moving off to Pwllheli on Wednesday.

Thanks for all the thoughts and views though, very useful.

Andy

Dutch01527

Visit site
How many competent watch keeping people on board? Size of boat?

I did Ardfurn to Falmouth in c. 72 hours non stop in 2021. That was with a crew of 4 on a Baltic 42. Motored most of the way because of wind issues.

I would happily do it again with just two competent people if the boat was strong and the engine was good and capable of averaging over 5 knots.

If doing it in day hops, I would suggest Plymouth to Newlyn, Newlyn to Padstow, Padstow to Dale.

Difficulty is timing departure and arrival to use the tidal currents as each leg is about 12 hours. Ideally leave at about 5.00am and arrive in the light but that not easy to arrange.

Maybe a hybrid approach. Day sail down to Newlyn, get some good crew for 24 hours and blast over to Dale in one hit

I would only do it with an engine that I had a high degree of confidence in, especially in a new boat.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
How many competent watch keeping people on board? Size of boat?

I did Ardfurn to Falmouth in c. 72 hours non stop in 2021. That was with a crew of 4 on a Baltic 42. Motored most of the way because of wind issues.

I would happily do it again with just two competent people if the boat was strong and the engine was good and capable of averaging over 5 knots.

If doing it in day hops, I would suggest Plymouth to Newlyn, Newlyn to Padstow, Padstow to Dale.

Difficulty is timing departure and arrival to use the tidal currents as each leg is about 12 hours. Ideally leave at about 5.00am and arrive in the light but that not easy to arrange.

Maybe a hybrid approach. Day sail down to Newlyn, get some good crew for 24 hours and blast over to Dale in one hit

I would only do it with an engine that I had a high degree of confidence in, especially in a new boat.
Hes already done the long haul