Cooking on a small boat?

greeny

Visit site
For people on small boats (ie under23ft) , how do you cook/boil water? Looking at alternatives to my camping stove. Ideally it would Need to be gimbaled, but only requires one hob. Jetboil, compass24 1500 etc is what I am looking at, but both are very pricey...
Hi Jack, I suspect you have the same boat as me. I recognise your name from another group. Interesting that you are looking at the same problem as I am right now. I'm pretty sure that a single burner spirit stove is the best answer for me. I've not yet identified the right one yet but need to do so for fitting this winter. I only light the gas burner if I can move it outside into the cockpit because I've seen first hand what happens to the supplied stove if the canister leaks. Fortunately that event was onshore and not on a boat. At least if it goes wrong in the cockpit it can be dumped overboard pretty quickly. I sit it on the seat on an old fire blanket so it can be jettisoned quickly.

William_H

Visit site
Hi Jack, I suspect you have the same boat as me. I recognise your name from another group. Interesting that you are looking at the same problem as I am right now. I'm pretty sure that a single burner spirit stove is the best answer for me. I've not yet identified the right one yet but need to do so for fitting this winter. I only light the gas burner if I can move it outside into the cockpit because I've seen first hand what happens to the supplied stove if the canister leaks. Fortunately that event was onshore and not on a boat. At least if it goes wrong in the cockpit it can be dumped overboard pretty quickly. I sit it on the seat on an old fire blanket so it can be jettisoned quickly.
Very desirable for safety to stow the cooker and bottle outside (like in a gas bottle storage compartment drain ed to over board) when not in use. It is the slow leak of gas not detected that builds up in bilges that creates fire works. ol'will