Conversion to Junk RIg

jdc

Visit site
Bermudan rigged boats can absolutely be reefed when going down-wind, I've done it. The thing to avoid is swept back spreaders (which are a potential cause of chafe anyway on a long downwind passage), and to have fully a battened main with good quality cars. You can just drag down the sail. I believe that Skip Novak does this regularly on his pelagic boats.

However I do agree that being able to dump sail in a hurry is quite a good thing (in the ITCZ especially). Instead, we used to steer onto a run and then furl the Genoa(s), which did take two of us and was inevitably in pouring rain accompanied by forked lightening. Could probably have scandalised the main by allowing the kicker to run free, when a junk might have been a blessing.

I don't have to, and almost never do, hoist the main when head to wind, instead I go onto a close reach and hoist ti where the boom isn't a menace and where the sail goes up quietly in the 'slot' caused by the jib(s).

Not that I'm preaching against junk rigs, but I'm not convinced all Bermudan rigs are as well set up as they can be, so a possibly good option for the OP is to spend some money and effort improving his existing rig or sail plan.

DownWest

Visit site
Thanks, Will look at the junk rig association and go from there. Nice to see that it generates a lot of discussions
Take the advice from above: "Practical junk Rig" by H.G. Hasler and J.K. McLeod . I had it and a good read. At the time, I inhierited a 24ft boat (hull) that was designed for a complicated wingsail. I thought to use a junk rig and also enjoyed Annie Hill's book. In the end, it didn't happen(moved countries), but my current build is a cat yawl. Two unstayed masts with sprit boomed sails. Another lower tech solution, with low loads. Not far from the Freedom rig, in fact, the same just without the windsurfer type arched 'booms'.

chriss999

sailing-chinee.com
Well I do this multiple of times every year, so nowt special about tacking up the Helford to anchor without using the engine. Frequently singe handed, and I sail a Bermudan rigged boat (and one with runners too). Takes about 5 secs to drop the main or furl the staysail...

The advantages of a junk rig seem to me to be exaggerated, I really don't find the Bermudan rig so hard to handle and sailing long distances two-up it's rare that the one on watch has to wake/call the other when going about or reefing (which means my partner can handle it herself, and she's quite small). Modern materials make a difference, as do fully battened mains and cars, winches on the coach-roof, jammers, roller furling jibs etc.
That is all true. But at a price. The junk is much cheaper to run as all the components are cheap, they don’t wear out quickly and when they do, they can be mended easily and cheaply.
I refurbished and sailed a Kingfisher 20 that I bought in a tatty state, having been converted from Bermudan rig many years previously. I’d be happy to do the same again - she was a delight to sail. But I'd not take on the conversion myself because of the structural work mentioned by Tranona and others.

I sold her because the cabin height became a problem for me - but a younger person would be fine.

(Btw to the OP - I have a copy of the Hasler / McLeod book PJR if you’d like it - at a modest cost. PM me if you are interested, also can send you pictures of the boat.)

MisterBaxter

Visit site
Here's an interesting article:
Bermudan rig vs Junk rig - Practical Boat Owner
Two Sprinters were sailed side by side, one with conventional Bermudan rig and one with a modern junk rig. The Bermudan boat was faster to windward but the junk was faster downwind, unless the Bermudan boat got a spinnaker up. And the Bermudan was a well-tuned, successful racing boat, whereas the junk was a work-in-progress home conversion with a slightly experimental rig, so clearly with some work the performance gap would be reduced.
The test was also done in light winds. In strong winds, the junk rig's ability to reduce and increase sail quickly and easily would be a huge benefit with a small crew.
My observation is that if you want to sail as fast as possible around a triangular course, or if you want to cruise as fast as possible with an active crew, Bermudan is clearly better. If you want to sail as many miles per year as possible, shorthanded and a long way offshore, junk would make your life a great deal easier and more comfortable. Horses for courses.