Continual Quiz about the Bristol Channel (9)

graham

Visit site
I bought some meat of a bloke with a van the other day.He charged me sixty quid for 8 venison legs,do you think that was too dear?? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

mrbloto

Visit site
will put you out of your misery !!castle pill!! 400 metres east of milford marinathere is a lock gate which is open and silted up perfect for marina probably bigger than milford marina

tonybarebones

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is it from the saying "Pay on the nail"? If so, I think they still have at least one paying "nail" at the Corn Exchange in Bristol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutly correct Damo... over to you ol mate... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

CASH ON THE NAIL - "Immediate payment. From the English sea port of Bristol where in 1552 four brass pillars, or 'nails' were placed in front of the Council House for the convenience of merchants exchanging money. Business was discussed and money was laid down and counted on the nail. The same brass nails can still be seen today outside the Exchange in Bristol; other nails exist in the Corn Exchange in Liverpool." From "Salty Dog Talk: The Nautical Origins of Everyday Expressions" by Bill Beavis and Richard G. McCloskey (Sheridan House, Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., 1995. First published in Great Britain, 1983).

: : Down on the nail; Pay down on the nail. In ready money. The Latin ungulus (from unguis) means a shot or reckoning, hence ungulum dare, to pay one's reckoning.

graham

Visit site
I think Ilfracombe was once called Alfreds town or similar but
Noeyedear.jpg

which is "fishes town"?Could be Minehead I guess which makes it about 20 miles.

graham

Visit site
St Anthony's head is at the entrance to Falmouth.I dont know where his knoll is. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif