Continual Quiz about the Bristol Channel (9)

graham

Visit site
Whereisit?
Chapelwhere.jpg

You could moor your boat 50 feet from this Chapel.

graham

Visit site
Over to you Tony.

It is St Peter on the Quay next door to the Old Ship Aground in Minehead Harbour. Apparently the area around the harbour used to be known as Quay Town.

makingpeter.jpg
009-2.jpg

tonybarebones

Visit site
While I'm wracking my brains trying to think of another stinker, have a go at this... http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/froggame.htm

it's called frog leap and you are supposed to swap the frogs over by clicking on them, you'll get the hang of it soon enough, if you cock it up just click on the arrow you can have as many goes as you like, it's supposed to take someone with average I.Q. 3 mins to complete, someone I know did it in 30 secs... some of you may have seen it previously cos I sent it out on Funsail, and that means you csail. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Before I resort to electronic research, were they some of the Merchant Venturers who financed Cabot?

--------------------------------
(Goes and googles.....)

Ahh! They were involved with the Merchant Venturers, but much later - do you want the answer now?

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
That's what I reckon as well /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tell you what, I'll give the next answer, then you put the question:

And the answer is: "A pair of underpants"

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tonybarebones

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
all partners in the building of lighthouse on flatholm ??

god bless yahoo

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually not exactly and strictly true, they were the sucessive owners and operators of the F.H. light before Trinity House took over in 1823 never the less it's close enough Timmy, so it's over to you me old sock...

FLAT HOLM LIGHTHOUSE: Flat Holm's lighthouse was one of the last privately owned signal stations in the country until Trinity House took it over in March 1823. It is possible that a light was shown on the island either by the Danes or the monks from the priory.

Flat Holm lies in the middle of the busy shipping lanes passing to and from the ports of Cardiff, Newport and Bristol. Although leading shipmasters had been aware of the need for a lighthouse on Flat Holm for many years it was not until 1733 that a petition was forwarded to Trinity House by John Elbridge, on behalf of the Society of Merchant Venturers of Bristol.

The petition pointed out the dangers to navigation and the general desire of seamen for a light on the island. Trinity House refused the application, pointing out that it was necessary for a petition to be made to the Crown, signed by leading merchants of the port. Meanwhile Trinity House took steps to ensure that no light was erected other than in their name. A further proposal was rejected in 1735. William Crispe of Bristol, who had leased the island for 99 years, informed the Corporation of Trinity House of his wish to build a lighthouse in their name, at his own expense.

His offer was probably refused because he demanded too high a toll or was not prepared to spend sufficient to construct what was considered to be an efficient light. Negotiations were reopened at the end of 1736, when a vessel was wrecked near the Holms and 60 soldiers drowned.

Given impetus by this disaster, William Crispe's new proposals were supported by the Merchant Venture’s. For his part Crispe had to agree to spend not less than £800 for constructing the tower and pay the expenses incurred in obtaining a crown patent for the light.

The lease was finally signed, the Corporation agreeing to apply for a patent, and the first light was kindled on the 1st December 1737. The light consisted of only a coal fired brazier, the coal having to be carried by the keepers from the stores to the top of the tower. The light consumed large quantities of coal and 25 tons were landed on the island each month.

William Crispe took on a partner, Benjamin Lund, and they relied heavily on the tolls paid by the mariners using the Bristol Channel. Unfortunately, as the brilliance of the light was often disputed, the tariffs were not always paid, and even with loans secured from John Elbridge, the pair were soon bankrupt.

A wealthy merchant, Caleb Dickenson, came to their rescue and in 1740 agreed to take on both the lease of the island and the debts of the lighthouse. The lighthouse was retained as Dickenson property for three generations and his tenant keepers are almost legendary. In spite of its inadequacy the coal-fire brazier continued to be used.

In 1817 the "William and Mary" sank off the Wolves, with the loss of forty lives, and even though the disaster was caused by the helmsman flirting with one of the passengers, the dimness of Flat Holm's light was blamed.

Pressure was put on Trinity House to have the light improved. The Corporation reached an agreement with William Dickenson in 1819, agreeing to take over the tower and undertake the alterations. The massive circular stone tower was adapted to make a suitable base for a lantern enclosing an oil burning lamp. This new fixed white light was first shown on 7th September 1820.

An Act passed by George IV in 1822 empowered the Corporation to purchase all remaining privately owned lighthouses in the British Isles, Flat Holm being one of the many acquired.

Trinity House took possession of the light from 21st March 1823, when William Dickenson and his executors had been paid off. 1825 — lantern raised a further 5 feet and a fountain oil lamp installed. 1867— new 14 foot diameter lantern installed (remained until 1969). 1881—light converted to occulting by installation of clockwork operated mechanism. 1904—installation of Douglas incandescent burner. 1923—replaced by Hood petroleum vapour burner

In 1908 a foghorn station was built. The powerful compressed air fog signal was installed in separate buildings, providing the keepers with extra accommodation. In 1929 the lighthouse became a rock station, the keepers previously having lived with their families in two cottages at the base of the lighthouse tower.

These buildings then became redundant and were consequently demolished. In 1969 the light, until then produced by a 100 mm Petroleum Vapour Burner, was converted to run on electricity, producing a light intensity of 139,000 candle power.

The light, 50 m above the high water mark, has a characteristic flashing pattern of white and red group flashing three times every ten seconds, and a range of 21 miles. The fog siren sounds every 30 seconds. (Courtesy of S. Glam C.C.).