Continual Quiz about The Bristol Channel( 7)

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Further "research" has found references to the tower being built in :

the "early 1800's";
1832 by Gen .Rawdon;
1840's by the general as "a gift" with an unconventional light(appears in list of Lights);
1850's by the general as a salt water reservoir;
1860 ditto;

Just in case you was bovvered

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
bovvered.jpg

Visit site
Be honest now, without using google,can you give me the name of the ship damaged by a mine in the Bristol Channel in 1944,and then what happened to her?

graham

Visit site
There was one that hit a mine off Barry then was driven ashore Cant remember the name though.

Visit site
Your on the right track,just need to know the name,and what happened to her.do you give up? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
"The Tafleburg was a ship that ran aground in Whitmore Bay in Barry Island in south Wales on January 28 1941. The Whale Factory Ship struck a mine in the channel and was beached to the West of Cold Knap Point. On 28 March she was refloated and moved to Whitmore Bay. She landed on a sand bar and broke into 2 sections. She was later repaired"

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Visit site
Ok folks it was a tricky one i know,here is the answer,
The tanker"Tafelberg" was mined in the Bristol channel in 1944 an she broke into 2,because of the despereate shortage of ships at that stage of the war the halves were towed into cardiff and welded together,you coulnt even see the join,sadly she did not survive the war.Renamed and recrewed she was sunk off Scotland before the year was out. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif