Continual Quiz about The Bristol Channel( 7)

Visit site
Ok,Heres one close to my heart.The Lightship in Roath basin,When, where was she built where was she last stationed and finaly when did she come out of service?

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
From the Bristol Channel Google Pilot Book /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"The Lightship was built in Dartmouth, Devon, in 1953 and served as a Trinity House floating lighthouse around the UK including off the coast of Blackpool. The ship's last post of duty was guiding ship off Helwick Sands (off the Gower coast) before she was bought by the Cardiff Bay Development Corporation. She was then transformed into an ecumenical Christian Centre for the Bay some 12 years ago."

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
On the quayside of a small drying harbour is this odd-looking tower. What was its original purpose?

tower1.jpg

Anwen

Visit site
I cheated like mad and used Google. Here's what I found:-

This is the Famous Renish Tower. Built originally as a beacon to warn ships of the rocky coast line. It was altered to accommodate a water tank to feed Sea water to the Sea water Baths.

Jon

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Why is that cheating - how else are some of us going to get some of these obscure answers? Noone said it wasn't allowed /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Rhenish Tower salt water reservoir for Sir Somebody's baths is the answer I was looking for.

graham

Visit site
You asked for the ORIGINAL purpose which apparently was a beacon ? Mr bloto allready got that one,

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
"A prominent feature in Lynmouth is the 'Rhenish' tower at the end of the Quay. Built in the late 1850's by General Rawdon to store salt water to supply his house with sea baths, it was faithfully reconstructed after the 1952 flood disaster. "

I reckon it is DeepJoy /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif