Continual quiz (16)

tonybarebones

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Portishead Radio

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that one did'nt last very long did it? I was'ent expecting a protracted list of answers... and thanks Iain for the the birthday wishes 61 today... I can tell you that it takes no time at all to go from 41 to 61 especially when you're enjoying yourself with such an absorbing religion... BOATING !!
Over to you now Graham for the next question.

graham

Visit site
Many happy returns Tony.

On the Radio station theme. If making a ship to shore telephone call in this area before the service was scrapped which radio station did you call and what did you have to do to ensure you got them to answer?

Visit site
I know the one your talking about,they stopped about 10 years ago,i was delivering a Nic 32 to Cardiff and got diverted to swansea to tow a small cruiser into the marina with a rope around the prop,so we missed the tide for Cardiff but we plodded along anyway,we got in touch with this radio station to ask them to inform our wifes who were waiting for us in penarth(pre mobiles) but they wouldnt do it,was it Minehead coastgaurd by any chance?

graham

Visit site
Looks like its going to drag on.

Ilfracombe Radio used to deal with ship to shore telephone calls .In later years the station was unmanned so you had to make a long initial call to switch on the automatic machine that patched you through to an operator in Niton Radio that organized your phone call.

If your initial call was too short the machine didnt switch on .

Chris Helens answer was closest so over to you for next que4stion.

Visit site
Ok here goes,i cant think of anything,you experts seem to have covered most things but one thing springs to mind,walking near the Oval basin in the bay the other day,i noticed two relics still left over from when the basin was used as a lock,its not the lock gates or the mechinism,more clues to follow if you cant get it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Visit site
Ok not much traffic on this one,Non in fact, to stop this draging on,the things in question are on top of posts just alongside the entrance. Anybody?,at the back there,Damo?

graham

Visit site
Do You mean the traffic signal things on the wooden posts?

I dont know exactly what they were for, maybe they were flagged up when water in the dry docks reached a certain depth?Im only guessing .

graham

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is it some traffic cones left by passing students?

[/ QUOTE ]

They must have swam past ,their out in the harbour on posts /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifThey look more like railway signals or something.Like a solid metal flag that hinges up and down to signal something or other.

tonybarebones

Visit site
I seem to remember that they were actually used to signal to the White Funnel paddle steamer fleet docking instructions... As a small child I was taken on trips to Weston S Mare from here... there were two floating pontoons with associated walkways running down to the Dolphins from a booking office which I think was called Q shed, you will see that there are two pairs and the pontoons went inside each pair I believe, anyway I wont be suprised once Damo reads this there will be a picie or two on this forum before you could say knife.... thats if I don't bean him to it first. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif