Contessa 32, are they really that good?

TernVI

Visit site
Indeed. You also have to bear in min though, that whereas a modern 32fter has a 32ft waterline, the CO32 only has a 24ft waterline. So it's hardly comparing apples with apples is it? Even if you try to compare it with something like a modern 25fter, you won't get a fair comparrison, because the CO32 is longer in its sail plan and is heavier, especially at the ends with all that overhang.

If you want to find a modern "equivilent", then maybe something like the First 25.7, which will sail rings around a CO32 all day long. Personally, I would have the First, every day of the week.
The short waterline is mostly a ghastly hangover from obsolete rating rules.
As is the huge genoa and small main, which personally I find prevents most boats from scoring on appearance.
I've nothing against boats of this era, there are dozens of alternatives which are either better value than a Co32 or offer more speed and space for the same money.
The question is not 'are they an OK boat?' Any boat is fine by me if people are enjoying sailing it.
The question is more why do people think they are such a superior boat and worth such a premium? I think that's far more to do with a few journos blathering about them in the comics and little to do how they sail.

doris

Visit site
I'm curious as to why you would not want one today; due to age or progress in design, or some other reason?
Both age and design progress. The Dehler 39 has much more space, is much faster, more comfortable and a dream going downhill. The Sigmas roll, not as much as a C32 but science improves the breed. Why not enjoy that improvement.
If the masochist rose tinted spec wearers see things differently fine, their choice, just not mine.

dom

Visit site
Both age and design progress. The Dehler 39 has much more space, is much faster, more comfortable and a dream going downhill. The Sigmas roll, not as much as a C32 but science improves the breed. Why not enjoy that improvement.
If the masochist rose tinted spec wearers see things differently fine, their choice, just not mine.

Lol, growing up racing fast dinghies I was once given the chance to helm a big Swan in an X-Channel Race. A dream uphill I must say, steady, secure, not outrageously fast by modern standards, but she purred along like an old Roller. Turned downhill, hoisted a gergantic kite and OMG what a scary rolly-polly boat to helm.

They're still wonderful things though ....and yes, dreamily stunning to look at ?

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Indeed. You also have to bear in min though, that whereas a modern 32fter has a 32ft waterline, the CO32 only has a 24ft waterline. So it's hardly comparing apples with apples is it? Even if you try to compare it with something like a modern 25fter, you won't get a fair comparrison, because the CO32 is longer in its sail plan and is heavier, especially at the ends with all that overhang.

If you want to find a modern "equivilent", then maybe something like the First 25.7, which will sail rings around a CO32 all day long. Personally, I would have the First, every day of the week.

But they really aren't comparable boats.
The only place you can stand up in a 25.7 is at the foot of the companionway.
And I would much prefer to be in a contessa on the open sea when the weather perks up.

When I was looking for a boat my requirements were, it could look after me when I run out of talent which doesn't take long and it would be comfortable to live aboard for prolonged periods as I wanted to do some ocean sailing but in a small boat. These requirements + a limited budget quickly narrows down the field to older designs.

As it happens I found a good twister with new rig at a great price and have no regrets. I don't race anyone but myself so absolute speed wasn't a requirement but sea keeping comfort is priceless.

Stemar

Visit site
A Contessa 32 is a lovely looking boat. I wouldn’t want to own one but I like looking at other people’s. It would be a boring world if all yachts were the same. Time moves on, but classic yachts are nice to have around. A true sailor can appreciate a wide variety of craft of all vintages. ?
Exactly my thoughts. There are lots of boats around that I like to see, but wouldn't want to own, from

ob_0a1312_optimist-sailboat-surfing.JPG

to

One I would have liked to own - still do, but know I'd never give her the use she deserves - is
vagabond-47-ketch-60516_2e.jpg

How would she look done up as a pirate ship?

Gixer

Visit site
I started this thread as a Contessa had been plonked next to me in the yard.
I went back down yesterday to find my boat had been moved and another Contessa is in my old spot. The buggers are multiplying!
Although I still like the design I think this thread has put me off ?

I wish I could afford the Southerly 135 I’m next to now........

doris

Visit site
I started this thread as a Contessa had been plonked next to me in the yard.
I went back down yesterday to find my boat had been moved and another Contessa is in my old spot. The buggers are multiplying!
Although I still like the design I think this thread has put me off ?

I wish I could afford the Southerly 135 I’m next to now........
Ha ha. Good to see sense prevailing.
Lovely choice, the 135, a bit of overtime next month and I’m sure you’ll be sorted!

Bobc

Visit site
But they really aren't comparable boats.
The only place you can stand up in a 25.7 is at the foot of the companionway.
And I would much prefer to be in a contessa on the open sea when the weather perks up.
Exactly what I said. You can't compare a CO32 with any modern 32fter, or even with a modern boat with the same LWL. I was simply talking about speed comparison, because people on here were trying to compare the speed of a CO32 with that of a modern 32fter with a plumb bow and transom, which you can't do.

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
To me these are a 1980's Porche. They certainly are a classic, they can hold their value, but there were way too many of them to ever become very pricey. They're a bit crap by most modern standards but there is a large following of people who love them nonetheless. The interesting thing will be seeing what happens when those who knew them the first time around start exiting the market - will the next generation of sailors who grew up on "modern" spacious and comfortable boats desire them enough to keep their classic status. I think yes, because if nothing else they have a pretty shape and a good name.
My guess is that the real losing boats longer term will be the inbetweener models which are not old pretty designs but are also not modern either. Those that lack the huge tanks and battery banks and proper fridges and showers yet are still AWB in nature. I feel there was a bit of a line in the sand when yacht designers went full caravan. That said, mine is only 20 years old and already quite a dated shape compared to the newer boats, so maybe we'll be having this discussion about classic AWBs soon!

johnalison

Visit site
To me these are a 1980's Porche. They certainly are a classic, they can hold their value, but there were way too many of them to ever become very pricey. They're a bit crap by most modern standards but there is a large following of people who love them nonetheless. The interesting thing will be seeing what happens when those who knew them the first time around start exiting the market - will the next generation of sailors who grew up on "modern" spacious and comfortable boats desire them enough to keep their classic status. I think yes, because if nothing else they have a pretty shape and a good name.
My guess is that the real losing boats longer term will be the inbetweener models which are not old pretty designs but are also not modern either. Those that lack the huge tanks and battery banks and proper fridges and showers yet are still AWB in nature. I feel there was a bit of a line in the sand when yacht designers went full caravan. That said, mine is only 20 years old and already quite a dated shape compared to the newer boats, so maybe we'll be having this discussion about classic AWBs soon!
I suppose that a Sadler 34 would be the sort of boat you are referring to. There was a time when it was the boat we aspired to, when we had the 29. By the time we came to choose, its masthead rig, moderate but decent performance, and limited accomodation had ruled it out. It is a perfectly good boat which still gives a lot of pleasure to its owners, but not one that is ever going to be seen as especially desirable.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
... people on here were trying to compare the speed of a CO32 with that of a modern 32fter with a plumb bow and transom, which you can't do.
Why not? If you have two speeds you can compare them. There really isn't much point in comparing the speeds of identical boats, unless OD racing is your thing.

lustyd

Visit site
Agree, two boats of 32’ LOA are literally comparable since they cost the same to own and berth. LWL is irrelevant in all practical matters of boat ownership.

Adios

Visit site
Does anyone dispute that a CO32 is better in adverse weather than most newer designs?

Assuming that's agreed it seems everyone would agree that a newer boat is faster and more spacious for fair-weather coast hops (while not being impossible in a bit of a blow anyway just not ideal) so well worth considering if that's the extent of use, and the contessa is better for longer trips where there is always a risk of adverse weather especially around the UK where we get lots of weather at all times of year.

I still wonder about the motion in even moderate seas, smoother even when more motion on a contessa and slammier on a modern boat. A jerky motion gets wearing very quickly and not having the stamina i used to have that seems like an important consideration. For that reason and a few others I'm still erring toward the 70s lines.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Does anyone dispute that a CO32 is better in adverse weather than most newer designs?
Do you mean "faster", "more comfortable" or "less likely to sink"? On the latter point, I understand that the monimum STIX rating for CAT A was set at 32 because that's one under the value for the Contessa 32, which was considered marginally suitable for the category.

Boats with similar STIX ratings include the Bavaria Cruiser 31 (STIX 33), the Hunter Channel 32 (33 with bilge keels, 32 with fin), Dehler 32 (32), Dufour 325 (32), Elan 31 (34), Etap 32 (36), Bénéteau Oceanis 321 (33), Pogo 30 (33), Jeanneau Sunfast 3200 (older 38, newer 33), Vancouver 28 (36). Most bigger boats have higher STIX values, most smaller ones have lower.

What I take from this is that a STIX rating of 32 is achievable for a 32 footer and that the Contessa 32 design did well to get there so long ago and before STIX rating was invented. I suspect that higher values can be achieved at that length, but once you have Cat A, what's the point? Cut-offs like that always produce uneven distributions.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site

Assuming that's agreed it seems everyone would agree that a newer boat is faster and more spacious for fair-weather coast hops (while not being impossible in a bit of a blow anyway just not ideal) so well worth considering if that's the extent of use, and the contessa is better for longer trips where there is always a risk of adverse weather especially around the UK where we get lots of weather at all times of year.

I still wonder about the motion in even moderate seas, smoother even when more motion on a contessa and slammier on a modern boat. A jerky motion gets wearing very quickly and not having the stamina i used to have that seems like an important consideration. For that reason and a few others I'm still erring toward the 70s lines.
Motion, especially to windward is a massive factor when comparing heavier displacement boats to new. I've done it in a few different boats from a Vertue to a Sun Fast and I'm quite used to uncomfortable environments from past working life. I choose comfort over speed as I'm not racing anyone.

doug748

Visit site
Yealm should be around somewhere.

He changed his Pogo, or summat, for a Contessa 32 and those flat, light racers really are faster boats than the Contessa, unlike some of the fanciful ideas we have heard.
He was happy with his swap, don't know if he has changed his mind.

Mind you, fundamentally, I agree with an earlier sentiment; speed differences in a cruising boat are generally marginal and mostly of very limited importance.

Adios

Visit site
Do you mean "faster", "more comfortable" or "less likely to sink"?

I was thinking it could be all three depending on the cirumstances

On the latter point, I understand that the monimum STIX rating for CAT A was set at 32 because that's one under the value for the Contessa 32, which was considered marginally suitable for the category.

Boats with similar STIX ratings include the Bavaria Cruiser 31 (STIX 33),
I haven't updated my thinking since angle of vanishing stability was thought highly important. How likely it is to be inverted, how many critical seconds it would stay inverted, how unhappy is it to lay inverted ie how lucky do you need to be that it will come straight back up again with the next wave as that bavaria is going to need 2 similar freak waves one after the other. These things seem critically important for that extreme weather which no one wants to sail in but which is possible even just going on a jolly to Ireland.
LRGZCurve.jpg

I need to look more into STIX and other ratings probably, not least to reassure my often sceptical self that it isn't just some over complicated guff the industry came up with to justify selling cheaper to produce boats. A way to mask a shitty AVS.

Last edited:

TernVI

Visit site
Yes.
Most of them have clapped out gear that breaks.
They are slow and will have you out in more adverse weather for longer.
They get you wetter.
They roll down wind.
You're either on the foredeck changing jibs or there is a lot of genoa rolled up making the rig very inefficient.

'Most newer designs' covers a vast spectrum of boats. There are many more modern boats which can handle the weather just as well, if not better.
You only have to look at the sea schools to see modern AWBs successfully sailing in anything you'd care to be out in.
There are many boats of all eras which are perfectly fine in all weathers. For the price of a Contessa, you can get something else bigger which will be more seaworthy.