Contessa 32, are they really that good?

Adios

Visit site
If you can't see light through unpainted white grp it's usually because it's Not Very Good.
I hadn't had a boat more recent than 1970s made till then so was used to maybe over engineered. But it surprised me. I mean I know its GLASS fibre but even still it surprised me to see the reflections on the water ripples showing through the hull like it was a piece of tracing paper.

Blueboatman

Visit site
A Contessa 32 is a contemporary of the Austin Allegro. We have made progress since then.
Didn’t the designer Martin Sadler have a background in army tank design ?
I wonder what an Allegro might have morphed into with his hand at the wheel ? Possibly not a square steering wheel for a start ?

I also wonder if some of the stronger opinions proffered here are from people who have owned but one type of yacht ?
Doris ? Ahem , got a cv??
Like cars or motorbikes, it is surely hugely informative and quite fun to own more than a couple of each, spanning many years , although with all the associated tears and fears too!
My own take on the Co 32, growing up as a kid and sailing out of Jeremy Rogers home port, their crews always appeared to be having a jolly time, coming , going, a days racing round and around , , arriving back with the Q flag up . Can’t be all bad ?

Last edited:

Adios

Visit site
I get shouted down when I say that people seem to hark back to a Ford Cortina as something desirable in terms of design.
My first car was a MK5 Contina 1.6GL, with velour seat covers of course. I soon learned that all the driving sideways on the Sweeney might not have been by choice. Still, fond memories. I do wish there was a car rental company that rents out old normal cars just for a days reminiscing. Its just too much pretending to test drive one thats for sale for a few minutes.

But unlike a Cortina there's little argument that a contessa is a beautiful boat to this day and probably always will be. There must be something natural about it. Everyone just knows these boats are right even with no nautical knowledge to back it up.

Adios

Visit site
My first experience of the second stage of seasick *** was on a Con32.

*** that's where you realise you are not going to die but you so much wish you could die.. I was lying incapacitated in my bunk needing a piss., It was touch and go if I could do the biz before I puked ...
I had a guy on my boat once that after the food and drink had gone went past vomiting yellow to vomiting brown. I thought you were going to say that was stage 2 and i'd finally learn what it was. Dare I ask if that's faeces? (does this need a thread of its own? or should I just block it from my mind?)

Tomahawk

Visit site
The thing is the Pogo is very much derived from the Imoca philosophy. Good upwind by tilting on her side and lifting most of the hulk out the water... real life down wind when she starts to plane...

robmcg

Visit site
Looks cheap, not really practical for anything other than going fast on your ear, suspect it would not be happy at anchor unless billiard table flat, uninspiring to look at..........
Don't get me wrong, I think it would get from A to B quickly but then you could cut out the middle man and get from A to B quicker in a motor boat. Apart from racing, I am trying to think what it's target market would be?

doris

Visit site
I also wonder if some of the stronger opinions proffered here are from people who have owned but one type of yacht ?
Doris ? Ahem , got a cv??
Like cars or motorbikes, it is surely hugely informative and quite fun to own more than a couple of each, spanning many years , although with all the associated tears and fears too!
My own take on the Co 32, growing up as a kid and sailing out of Jeremy Rogers home port, their crews always appeared to be having a jolly time, coming , going, a days racing round and around , , arriving back with the Q flag up . Can’t be all bad ?

I have owned most Sigmas and consider David Thomas one of the all time great designers but I wouldn't want one today. I've also had a Stephen Jones Whitbread 30 and a J&V Dehler 39SQ. have skippered, delivered and raced a large array of old and modern boats since the 80s ranging from 25feet to 120 feet.
IMHO the C32 is an extremely slow and wet relic that wasn't even that well built.. The Sadler 32 was much better but still vv slow and wet. Yes I have sailed both and would rather not go back.
I ride a 2020 motor bike, drive a modern car and have full mod cons in my home. Other people see it differently, fine but it's not for me.

doris

Visit site
The thing is the Pogo is very much derived from the Imoca philosophy. Good upwind by tilting on her side and lifting most of the hulk out the water... real life down wind when she starts to plane...
Tosh.
The Pogo sits on its chines and doesn't heel shedloads. Like any modern boat upright is fast and comfortable.
Plus downwind is a delight.