Considering sailing around Britain?

Gwylan

Visit site
Based on experience you need to have your brain removed and a good cushion fixed to your trousers
Frightful slog and tedious beyond belief without a fast well fitted boat

Got stuck on the West coast of Scotland for a whole summer - made it worthwhile

Gwylan

Visit site
Going back

unless of course you spread it out over a long period - doing it one bit at a time

it changes your sailing and you possibly go sailng less frequebntly - because of the time travelling to the boat - but I am sailing more intensively than I used to

and I am certainly enjoying it a lot more

gets the old adrenalin going at times

and there is nothing like sailing up a new river or estaury for the first time

really not knowing what is around the corner is a thrill beyond price

not often work offers such things once you get to a certain age

filmed on truck - filmed them all

Dylan

Can be really quite good fun going back to places - can make the entry and departure much less stressful

Gwylan

Visit site
Strangford Lough

Wow, thanks Terry!! Don't feel like much of a hero at the moment stuck here in Strangford Lough, panicking about the potential choppy seas when we leave!

Ironic that before you set off sailing around Britain, the advice appears on the whole to be get some experience first, by sailing in the waters off Britain. Same thing isn't it?! :)

Remember arriving with a 24 foot Achilles in Strangford on very wet Sunday afternoon to find it closed All this after an epic, heavily reefed crossing from Portpatrick

Tide put us against the pontoon and we crashed out after a meal at the Yacht Club

jimmynoboat

Visit site
Well, it's an idea but I still haven't forgotten how high the sea was getting over here in the first place! Which I could not have managed without you. Thanks again for that.

Halo

Visit site
unless of course you spread it out over a long period - doing it one bit at a time

it changes your sailing and you possibly go sailng less frequebntly - because of the time travelling to the boat - but I am sailing more intensively than I used to

and I am certainly enjoying it a lot more

gets the old adrenalin going at times

and there is nothing like sailing up a new river or estaury for the first time

really not knowing what is around the corner is a thrill beyond price

not often work offers such things once you get to a certain age

filmed on truck - filmed them all

Dylan

Agreed. If you wait you wont do it and may get bored.
Whilst raising a family and working d*mned hard I have sailed right round (apart from the bit between N Foreland and Chicester) . It has taken 25 years - one peice at a time - 4 seasons in Bristol channnel covering Bristol -Cornwall S Wales and S E Ireland 3 Seasons in Conwy covering rest of wales IOM ect 5 Seasons in Scotland (W & E Coasts) , Several years in Whitby and a few in Ipswich. Covered S Coast by crewing on a racing yacht. Yes there is some weekend commuting but I really feel at home in most parts of the Coast .
My message would be just do it however you can- before you get gimped by old age or an accident .
Now looking to cruise the med when I retire in a few years time

chinita

Visit site
Kim's book is excellent if you approach the challenge in the same way that he did.

It echoed our trip from Hartlepool to Beaumaris about fifteen years ago. We put into many of the same ports.

SWMBO and I moved house from N Yorks to Anglesey and spent four brilliant weeks up the East Coast, Caledonian Canal, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man then via Conway to our mooring in Beaumaris.

Boat was a Westerly Konsort Duo. Perfect for the job with wheelhouse shelter in the, often, awful conditions. Bilge keel for drying out wherever we could and very easy to sail or motor.

No breakages, no dramas, it would have been no problem continuing on if we did not have other commitments.

I shouldn't think it cost any more than four weeks camping would have.

Sturgess

Visit site
2012 a good to moment to sail around Britain

thanks Chinita
I agreed with you - the cost of sailing a boat (rather than motoring) around Britain is comparable to 4 weeks camping - but the experience is "priceless"

marine726

Visit site
Are you considering sailing around Britain ?

During the summer of 2007 I undertook my first major sailing adventure. Like so many weekend sailors, over a number of years, I had enjoyed club racing and several brief sailing holidays with friends, but never attempted a substantial solo expedition. Then, aged fifty plus, enacting a type of middle

If you have thought, just do it, life is short, have no time to wait...

Sturgess

Visit site
This Precious Isle

I agree - too much thought is a substitute for action.
The sea around Britain is still free for us to explore